Contributor
ITguyNva

Redfin Rebate

I would like to know where the redfin rebate comes from. Does the Realtor get paid from the settlement and then rebate the client or does Redfin get paid directly and then rebate the client and pay the agent?
Redfin Market Manager
Alex

Re: Redfin Rebate

ITguyNva,

The Redfin rebate comes from the commission paid to the listing broker to sell their property.  A portion of that agreement is offered for co-broke with a buyers agent and is paid at the time of close to that agent.  In the case that it is Redfin we receive the co-broke commission and then refund you the money either in the form of a reduction in purchase price, a credit towards closing costs or a tax free rebate 7-10days after the closing.  I hope that answers your question and  please let me know if you have any further questions and thank you for the post.  

Alex Coon

alex.coon@redfin.com 

Market Manager

Alex Coon | Redfin Boston Market Manager
alex.coon@redfin.com
Super Contributor
FranklyRealty

Hey Alex,

Can you send a link to information showing how you rebate it off the HUD1? I know you all found a clever way to do it. I have a letter from HUD1 saying every part of the transaction has to be on the HUD1 and disclosed to the lender.

I think you call it a "refund of professional services". Is that right?

Do your rebates, that are paid after closing disclosed to all parties including the lender?

Oftentimes lenders won't allow too much cash back, regardless of it being a rebate or a seller subsidy.

Thanks for the clarification

Frank

Broker FranklyRealty.com

Redfin Staff
ScottNagel

Frank,

In the past two years Redfin has provided over $20,000,000 in refunds to 2,200 plus buyers without issue.  Redfin receives all of the Selling Office Commission for each transaction.  We then rebate a portion of the commission to the buyer via separate agreement with the buyer that is not a part of the home sale transaction.  The rebate is disclosed to our buyer's lender and we work with the lender if they have any questions or concerns.

The majority of lenders we work with have no questions around the rebate but some do request that the rebate amount be applied as a credit to closing costs rather than having it disbursed directly to our client. In this event we work with the lender and the client to make sure that the rebate is provided in a structure that works for all involved.

Scott Nagel

Redfin Staff

Vice-President, Real Estate Operations 

Scott Nagel | Redfin VP Real Estate Operations
Visitor
dstockley

How does the rebate work if the buyer is working with Redfin but the listing agent is not a Redfin agent?

Thanks,

Douglas

Gold Regular Contributor
Matt

Hi Douglas, the rebate works the same way whether Redfin is the listing agent or not. We rebate up to 50% of our commission as the buyer's agent to the buyer. This page on Redfin has more information, and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have. 

Matt Goyer
VP of Marketing Operations | matt.goyer@redfin.com | 206-859-2843
Twitter | My Seattle Condo Blog
Visitor
dstockley

Thanks for the quick reply Matt.  When you say 'we rebate up to 50%" how is the final percentage reached and what is the average rebate amount?

:smileyhappy:

Gold Regular Contributor
Matt

Generally we'll refund 50% of our commission to the buyer. However, we do need to collect a minimum of $6,000 which is why I say "up to 50%" because for lower priced homes, or homes with smaller commissions, you want get the full 50%. The average refund is about $7,500.

Matt Goyer
VP of Marketing Operations | matt.goyer@redfin.com | 206-859-2843
Twitter | My Seattle Condo Blog
Contributor
dcagent

I was wondering about that as well Frank  ,  what perecentage of rebates are actually credited on the HUD vs paid after closing.  If required by lender to be credited on the HUD the rebate  has the potential to be reduced to nothing if the buyer is already capped out as far as "allowable" credits in the transaction, the key is to confirm before the offer is written if the credit will be on or off the HUD ot manage buyer expectations.   Anyone know specifically the loop hole that allows the rebate off the HUD?   Do local laws have any impact?

Regular Contributor
DCbuyer

This has been utilized by Redfin and benefited thousands of home buyers--why do you care so much about a specious proposition?