Contributor
BunkSF

Could this idea work? A common rental application

I have noticed that people searching for housing are having to fill out multiple rental applications at $30 bucks a piece. It seemed crazy to me because each application is asking for the same info. Because of this, I created myRentr.com.

The idea of myRentr.com is like the common college application but for apartments. Users buy our application for $30 (this may change) and we do the background check, employment check and credit check. Afterwards we put all the info in a nice little document (also includes photo, social media links, and personal blurp) so the user can give the application to whoever they choose. It seems crazy to me that property companies spend the time to run their tenant's credit when it would be much easier to ask the tenant to bring a completed app to the showing.

Do property managers actually like filling out their own apps? Do they make money from it?

Any feedback/criticism would be wonderful! Thanks for you time

Redfin Senior Agent
philip-gvinter

Re: Could this idea work? A common rental application

I'm going to send this to a friend who works at a property management company and post his response. It sounds like a great idea to me.

There are however two hurdles that I see. The first one is getting property managers to sign on and trust the verification process. The second is to make sure that different managers with different standards of what is and is not acceptable and the level of references they need can all get their needs met.

Philip Gvinter | Redfin | Listings DC Team Lead
See all my deals and reviews
Contributor
BunkSF

Thanks for the feedback.

Our product is not live yet, will be in about two weeks. On the site we will clearly state our process and qualifications.

Feel free to pass my info along! My email is listed in my profile

Visitor
Alisson

As a "homeowner" using a Management property company, I would want them to do the background check on each prospective tenant themselves for accuracy purpose.