Visitor
kumars

Best Home Warranty Service in DC Area/Maryland

Hi,

I own a condo and planning to take a home warranty service.

Which is the best in DC Area ? I have gone through the reviews and it seems AHS (American Home Shield) has not many good reviews. "Sensible Home Warranty" seems better. Again this is based on what ever review i found at the following web site.

http://www.homewarrantyreviews.com/reviews

Any way if you are using any warrnty could you please post your experiences.

Thanks

Kumar

Redfin Senior Agent
philip-gvinter

Re: Best Home Warranty Service in DC Area/Maryland

Some of my clients have had good experiences with HMS. However the one piece of advise I give is don't buy the warranty unless you have very old plumbing which is close to the end of its expected life or a very old HVAC system also nearing or past its expected useful life. The reason I give this advise is that these are the only two systems which are likely to create a problem which requires a significant multiple of the annual premium and the deductible to fix. For example a hot water heater is about $700 to $1000. A home warranty is roughly $500 with a $100 deductible. Even if your hot water heater goes you only save $100 to $400 and if it breaks year two you lost money. If you have lots of 50+ year old copper pipes there is room for a repair that will be over $1000. Also if your HVAC system fails that could easily be a $5000+ repair, however aside from that there are no systems covered by the warranty which will really pay for themselves. A dishwasher is $500 to $900, a refridgerator is $900 to $2000 and a stove is $500 to $1000. The warranty company will also typically give you the cheapest comparable model they can so unless you are afraid that the HVAC is about to go or that all of the appliances are nearing end of life and highly likely to fail in the same year the warranty will likely not provide much benefit.

Philip Gvinter | Redfin | Listings DC Team Lead
See all my deals and reviews
Regular Contributor
jacklantern

I don' really see how these warranties are worth it.

Redfin Senior Agent
philip-gvinter

If you have a 15+ year old air conditioning system it's more likely that the system fails before the amount you pay for the home warranty premiums exceeds the replacement costs. Other than with an old HVAC system they really don't.

Philip Gvinter | Redfin | Listings DC Team Lead
See all my deals and reviews