Regular Contributor
discouragedbuyr

what's the average cost of an addition plus kitchen remodel in the Greater Seattle area?

We have a nice size u-shaped kitchen room. We want to open it up and add a family room with a new addition. We got an estimate from a reputable contractor. They wanted $325/sqft for the initial plan....when the final price was too high, they revised the design by reducing the sqft. The overall cost of the revised plan was more affordable but the price per sqft rose to $500/sqft.
I want to know what's the average cost for such a project in the Greater Seattle Area. Rumor has it that contractors raise prices for certain areas.
Contributor
Photomax

Re: what's the average cost of an addition plus kitchen remodel in the Greater Seattle area?

To me knocking down a wall and doing a kitchen reno should be $50K - rough ballpark. Its hard to say as there are a ton of details missing from your description. I would get about three or four contractor quotes to see what the price and project scope variation is...

Silver Contributor
bld999

Re: what's the average cost of an addition plus kitchen remodel in the Greater Seattle area?

This is a dangerous game without full info, but 250/ft would be a good starting point for 300 or larger sf. When kitchens or baths are involved, unit costs can get pretty high, because thouse are expensive rooms to build. Family rooms [ not talking a lot of tech or home theater here ] are mostly inexpensive unless the integration is dicey [ roof complications causing an entire re-roof of the house for example, or big floorplan changes to accomodate]

Are you working with an architect or other design professional? That can sometimes be advisable. Competetive bidding works best when everyone is looking at the same drawings and scope. Otherwise, it's the blind men and the elephant.

Silver Contributor
ReallyEstate

Like anything in life you should get competing bids.  Costs can vary.  Just the appliances and counters in a high end kitchen can be 40k.  A kitchen can be many things.  Get bids and references. 

Regular Contributor
discouragedbuyr

[ Edited ]

We're looking into adding an additional 400 sqft and kitchen remodel to flow into the new expansion creating a 'great room'.

The roof line doesn't have to be changed, just extend out.  They will need to excavate for the new addition's foundation.  We will have to provide for the appliances seperately.

The contracting company has their own architech, design team, and structural engineer working for them.  The 'soft cost' is roughly $13K for 400 sqft addition, and $9K for 200 sqft addition.

Silver Contributor
bld999

If the kitchen is about 180sf, that plus the addition totals 580sf? [guessing here]  that's $ 250 x 580 = 145k plus their soft cost @13k. sum ~160k plus sales tax. Are they going to install your appliances? You will get the appliance warranty exposure?

Is the general building permit in their quote?  Are sales taxes included in their quote? There is so much unknown here...

It's not impossible to spend 500/ft on this stuff, but most people would live fine in a 250/sf home. I don't know you or your tastes, but you spoke of "average", and to me, $250/ft fills that bill.  [I am a builder, btw, not conjuring this out of thin air]

Probably can't comment further, leaving soon on vacation, but there are others on here who build professionally, maybe they can help.

Super Contributor
ardell

"The 'soft cost' is roughly $13K for 400 sqft addition, and $9K for 200 sqft addition."

You would be better off waiting until you can afford the extra $4,000.

You should look at them as two separate projects and try to trim the kitchen remodel down to no more than $30,000, as the recapture % diminishes after $30,000 (not including appliances).

As to the addition, you get a higher return by adding 400 sf than 200 sf and that is higher than the cost difference of $4,000. Digging up the extra $4,000 is the best answer OR cutting back on the kitchen remodel cost to transfer $4,000 from the kitchen to the family room.

The added value of extra square footage never goes away, unless it's a poor quality add on. The value of the kitchen remodel diminishes over time. So cutting the added sf from 400 to 200 is not the best answer.

ARDELL DellaLoggia
Sound Realty
Regular Contributor
discouragedbuyr

bld999: thanks for your input.  I was looking for the $250/sqft.  Like anything in life, you can go wild if you have deep pockets.

We did get a couple of bids, the range is so wide.  We like this company but the price is a little steep with being $500 sqft for typical builder grade.  We'll have to do painter, supply the appliances, windows.  Those will be install by the individual contractors and not the building company. 

Ardell: the difference in $4K is only the design/permitting cost.  The actual total construction cost would be $40-$60K difference.  If only the total construction cost is $13K. :smileyhappy:

Silver Contributor
ReallyEstate

I have a friend who is a contractor.  He gets in situations where people bid all over the place.  Get references and some samples of what they've done.  Sometimes you pay in the end for the cheapest bidder.  They might be hurting for work and there could be a reason why.  The most expensive might be so busy that they only take the highly profitable jobs.  Do your homework. 

Super Contributor
ardell

:smileyhappy: If you email me the address I can give you the max the property can absorb in improvement costs. You can do that openly here if you like, but most don't want to post their addresses publicly. Either way is fine with me. The style of home sometimes dictates the % of return you can get, as does the location. Not every house can absorb an expensive remodel.

ARDELL DellaLoggia
Sound Realty