Regular Contributor
ethidda

What's a "sewer hookup fee"?

One of the properties in Tukwila has the following line:

$17,400 sewer hookup fee due to City of Tukwila at closing to be negotiated between buyer and seller.

So I'm not sure what that means? Does the seller expect the buyer to pay (otherwise why mention it at all?). If the seller does, is there any way to roll it into the mortgage or would it have to be cash out of pocket?

(I have not actually seen this house, and don't necessarily want to buy it.)

Thanks.

P.S. What is "HOW"?

Super Contributor
ardell

Re: What's a "sewer hookup fee"?

[ Edited ]

I can answer as to a specific similar issue I saw in Kirkland. Hopefully that will at least lead you to the right questions for you to get specifric answers as to Tukwila.

Very similar case. The property was on septic...the whole street was on septic...for many years. The city ran a public sewer line down the street and assessed every home $10,000 to $12,000 for running the line down the street. All of the homes still on septic either paid or had a lien put on the property for this amount. The subject house had a lien of $16,000 because of the added interest and penalties for not paying anything...note, home was still on septic as this charge was for the main sewer line running down the middle of the street.

Each time any of the houses decided to connect their home to the sewer line in the street there was an additional charge for that connection, usually paid to a contractor except for permit fees to the City. Then there was a long term Sewer Capacity charge by the County. Pretty much any home in King County built since 1990 or switched from septic to public sewer at any time since 1990 will have an extra $55 or so a month sewer capacity charge running for 15 years or so until "paid in full".

If the house is on public sewer now,they could simply be referring to the long term capacity fee which is usually assumed by the buyer vs paid in full at closing. If they are talking about the actual hookup vs capacity fee, then that is usually paid off by the seller at closing. Everything is negotiable, but that is common practice.

EDIT: Note that the hookup fee or line fee is usually a lien that will show on the Title Report and cleared at close of escrow. The long running capacity charge however does NOT and you need to address that in the offer and also make sure escrow gets a payoff from the County as it does not show as a lien to be cleared automatically.

ARDELL DellaLoggia
Sound Realty
Regular Contributor
ethidda

Thanks ardell! That's not something I've had to deal with before.

The house was on a pretty bad lot anyway, so we're skipping it.

Super Contributor
ardell

You are welcome. Given it says the money is due to the City vs the County, it likely was a hookup that the City required be all the way to the house with the owner having no choice in the matter. That kind of lien should really be paid in full by the seller at closing unless the buyer wants to assume the payments. Depends on the interest rate on the long term payout.

I don't understand your P.S. question out of context "P.S. What is "HOW"?" Where does that appear? What are the words before and after that or the $ amount associated with it?

ARDELL DellaLoggia
Sound Realty
Regular Contributor
ethidda

I think it means Homeowner Warranty actually. I can't find the listing that had it.