Contributor
fd97207

Should I buy a house on a steep slope?

[ Edited ]

I am interested in hearing from people about living in a house which is on a steep slope. I have seen a property in Kirkland, WA. To get to it, you have to go downhill on a very steep slope. The property itself is not on the slope. The driveway is flat.  How dangerous will it be to live in such a place in snow/dark? I am not an expert car driver, and have never used snow chains.

Super Contributor
Paneubert

Re: Should I buy a house on a steep slope?

Keep a good supply of de-icer and put it down at the first sign of snow.  Should work fine since we dont get blizzards or anything.  BAd winter dirving is more about the driver freaking out and doing something stupid and not so much about the actual road conditions.

Regular Contributor
godboutd

[ Edited ]

One thing our agent mentioned to us that might be worth considering is that homes on a hill are tougher to sell. After visiting a home on a hill next to Green Lake and thinking through it, I ended up crossing these homes off my list:

- My car is hopeless in the snow or on ice. I don't want to park at the bottom of the hill every time I come home on a snowy or icy day, or worse, have the car on the hill after a snowstorm and being unable to get down. I've visited homes on streets where I even had trouble getting traction in the wet.

- I almost convinced myself that I could work around the car issue, then thought about kids. Where do they learn to ride a bike? Where can they play with a ball?

Those were my two big issues with slopes. If you don't mind them, also consider how it might affect your ability to sell the house in the future. I don't think it's a deal killer depending on what the actual property looks like, how big the hill is, etc., but it's definitely worth thinking about.

Silver Contributor
ReallyEstate

That's such a northwest question.  It really depends on the slope and we don't get that much snow.  That said, if it's a quetion for you, it will be during resale.  The listings on that street though should have that taken into consideration.

For the driving, you could ask the neighbors.  Typically the cities here are not that keen on treating the roads for environmental reasons.  

For those whose cars are 'bad in snow', a large part of that is just your tires.  Hit up car rack's website next time to research all seasons that are competent in snow.  They aren't more expensive and can really make a huge safety difference.

Super Contributor
oddman

[ Edited ]

The big issue is drainage.  Where is the drive draining to, and how well does it work?

Is your site higher than some surrounding sites, or is your home the one they will all end up draining towards?

Site drainage is the number one concern here site access if secondary unless we are talking scary steep then just walk away.

If it is just a driveway access issue and the home is not the lowest around then just figure out if the reduced sale value is already factored into the asking price or have they priced the home as is it has a level drive...

And of course you will need to own at least one 4wd. Or you could also consider heating two tracks of your drive for the winter. It is not as costly as you might think and ensures an ice free lane year around. 

Driveway heating can be done with low voltage wires embedded into the concrete.

Regular Contributor
White_Lotus

godboutd wrote:

One thing our agent mentioned to us that might be worth considering is that homes on a hill are tougher to sell. After visiting a home on a hill next to Green Lake and thinking through it, I ended up crossing these homes off my list:

- My car is hopeless in the snow or on ice. I don't want to park at the bottom of the hill every time I come home on a snowy or icy day, or worse, have the car on the hill after a snowstorm and being unable to get down. I've visited homes on streets where I even had trouble getting traction in the wet.

- I almost convinced myself that I could work around the car issue, then thought about kids. Where do they learn to ride a bike? Where can they play with a ball?

Those were my two big issues with slopes. If you don't mind them, also consider how it might affect your ability to sell the house in the future. I don't think it's a deal killer depending on what the actual property looks like, how big the hill is, etc., but it's definitely worth thinking about.

Your car is not hopeless, but your tires are. Get some good tires that will do well in snow. Consider the Continental DWS model. This is an all season tire that does very well in the wet and snow. Pricey? Yes, but worth it if you live in Seattle.

If you live near Greenlake the kids will learn to ride a bike at Greenlake. They will learn how to play with a ball, roller blade, play basketball, etc. at Greenlake.

Greenlake is competitive. If the price was right I'd be all over a house near Greenlake. Who cares if it's on a hill? To say those houses are difficult to sell is dumb. That neighborhood is very desirable, if you are truly near Greenlake.

Super Contributor
GreenAcres

As someone who lives at the top of a huge hill and has a 120 ft ravine in my backyard, I just don't see the problem. Unless there are geo-stability or drainage issues, if you like the lot and can deal with any access issues on the 10 days a year we might have snow, it's a non-issue.  I love living at the top of a hill - I have a beautiful view and am protected from any future development near slopes.  Win.

Regular Contributor
Tom_Tugboat

I appreciate the fact that salemen and Jehova's don't ring my doorbell