Contributor
School

Seller refused to have Walk-through before closing.

I requested a walk-through before the closing and I got the following response from the seller's agent.  I thought walk-through is just a normal part of a sale -- did I miss anyting (I should have included when the contract was made)?

=================================================================

There is no provision in the Purchase and Sale Agreement for a walk-through.
The only time a walk-through would be appropriate would be to re-inspect
repairs requested by the buyer, and your buyers did not request repairs, but
rather a substantial credit. Even in that case, the re-inspect walk-through
would be with the inspector, and not the sellers.  The sellers are in the
process of moving out and will not be available.

The sellers will leave all keys (except the two I provide you at closing),
garage door openers, and operating manuals for appliances, etc that they
have in their possession at the home when they vacate.  I will leave two
keys at my office for you for to pick-up after closing.  

If your clients wish to do a walk-through, I would recommend they contact
their inspector to meet with them after we close.  

Happy New Year!

Gold Contributor
Venturion

Re: Seller refused to have Walk-through before closing.

What does your contract say?  What does your agent say?

Regular Contributor
willb

I'm guessing by walk-through, you do not mean an inspection. Instead, something like a tenant going over a rental unit with the landlord before/after moving in/out. While I haven't been part of a RE transaction in some time, I do not think this is typically part of a sale.

Regular Contributor
Cartab

A walkthrough is part of the normal routine if you are buying a newly contructed house.

Contributor
School

No, not an inspection. This is not a RE transaction. It is a  normal sale and it seems it is strange to me that the sellers/seller agent refused us for such a request. I searched on the web, some said we could refuse to sign the documents if the sellers refused to do so (http://www.seattlepowersearch.com/visiting-your-new-home-before-closing).  I don't know what is the best way -- but I now really want to have the walk-through, hopefully just one day or hours before the closing.  The sellers' such behaviour made me even more suspect there may be something not very right.

Contributor
SeattleSparty

[ Edited ]

Couple of options.

1. You can do a walk through without the sellers present, before closing, and after the sellers have completely moved out. This will assure you that the house is being handed over in the appropriate condition. 

2. Ask your agent as to what the contract says and what is normal practice. 

Contributor
Buyer2011

School, there is something missing from your post. The response from the listing agent indicated that somehow a request for the final walkthrough with the seller was made. A walkthrough before closing is normal. But, doing it with the seller seems somewhat strange to me. I haven't seen it on HGTV :-)

Anyway, the listing agent is right. The NWMLS standard contract does not have anything about final walkthrough. Unless you hired a lawyer to write that stipulation in an addendum, chances are you can't demand a final walthrough. This is a loop hole in the NWMLS contract that might not be good to buyers.

New Visitor
aoe2exp

I would be very careful with refusing to close. You have a contract with them and if you do not fullfil it in the stipulated timeframe the seller may sue you for such action. You could even be liable for the owner's move and their expenses generated if the deal comes apart.

If you wanted a walkthrough before closing, you should had stipulated that in your contract. If the seller is willing to let you in for a walkthrough it is at their descretion and would be doing you a favor. The property still belongs to them until both parties sign the transfer.

Also, you had the oportunity to walkthrough with your inspector. Did you hire an inspector?

This is my personal opinion. I am not a lawyer and this is not intended to be used as legal advice.

Contributor
Buyer2011

Doing a final walk-through should be made a default part of any transaction and should be written into the default purchase and sale agreement form. It is common sense to look at something you want to buy before you sign the closing documents because the last time you saw the house may have been 3-4 weeks before the closing date. Who knows what happens to the house during that time period. The walk-through is not a favor!

When buying a car how do you feel if after taking delivery you found out a new ding on the door or new scratches on the bumper?

Here is what Redfin has about final walk through

http://www.redfin.com/home-buying-guide/final-walk-through

Regular Contributor
Cartab

Buyer2011 wrote:

When buying a car how do you feel if after taking delivery you found out a new ding on the door or new scratches on the bumper?

When buying a preowned car, how could you know for certain that they weren't there before?