Contributor
jonProjects

MAP: median income for every neighborhood in Seattle

I think Seattle house-hunters will find this useful.

It's an interactive map of how rich/poor every neighborhood in Seattle is. The website is RichBlocksPoorBlocks.com. You type in an address, and it finds the place. You can click each neighborhood to get more info on its median income.

Here's a map of Seattle, for instance.

Super Contributor
ardell

Re: MAP: median income for every neighborhood in Seattle

[ Edited ]

It's interesting. If this is your site, a few suggestions. The water of lakes as in Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish should be as blue as the water of the Sound vs the same color as the highest income category. The green shadings are too many and too alike. Hard to distinguish, or possibly incorrect. A couple of areas over by Federal Way being the same or close to Mercer Island and West of Market Kirkland are not likely correct. Could be those are "water" and showing as the highest income on the chart vs true blue of the Sound.

Definitely interesting, but needs a few tweaks on the color scale in the greens and blues. The yellow, orange and pink/reds look fine. Goes sideways when you get to the mid point where greens start and water spots.

ARDELL DellaLoggia
Sound Realty
Contributor
jonProjects

I agree, though it's not my site. I sent an email to the contact email at the bottom of that site, though it was about some other suggestion.

Super Contributor
ardell

It works especially well in areas like Manhattan Beach CA where the area is all Rich Man; Poor Man as you move away from the water in L.A. Surprisingly I have checked several cities where I have lived on both East and West Coasts and most all major cities close in come up as poor man. I guess the money lives in "the burbs" outside of most major cities. Seattle not quite as dramatic as some other cities.

Beacon Hill came up higher than I expected. Looks almost like Mercer Island. :smileyhappy:

ARDELL DellaLoggia
Sound Realty
Contributor
jonProjects

Yes, there are quite a few surprises here and there

Super Contributor
ardell

I have played with it a little more and while looking at the overall color coding is not very good, if you click on the map it is interactive and will give you more precise info regarding the actual median income of each area. VERY useful info and thank you to the person who posted it.

ARDELL DellaLoggia
Sound Realty
Contributor
jonProjects

Yes, it's really useful for showing to buyers -- people tend to like being shown something rather than being told something, it seems.

Visitor
JacqueqlineHG

King County actually puts out this map too. The rich/ poor map seems to not take into account many of the things that King county does, university areas (always lower- students), etc... In a city one street over can make a huge difference. This map does not have that detail.

jonProjects wrote:

I think Seattle house-hunters will find this useful.

It's an interactive map of how rich/poor every neighborhood in Seattle is. The website is RichBlocksPoorBlocks.com. You type in an address, and it finds the place. You can click each neighborhood to get more info on its median income.

Here's a map of Seattle, for instance.