Regular Contributor
Mtndude

Is this really in the Microsoft neighborhood in Redmond?

http://www.redfin.com/WA/Redmond/19153-NE-66th-Way-98052/home/17075269

I am unsure of where the "microsoft" neighborhood really is, but the agent does list that it is only 10 minutes away (good luck trying to get to Microsoft between 7-10am or 4-6pm in 10 minutes)

Regular Visitor
Plymster

Re: Is this really in the Microsoft neighborhood in Redmond?

According to Google Maps, it's 5.7 miles away from Microsoft (Microsoft Corporation, 157th Avenue Northeast, Redmond, WA).

That's pretty much in the "neighborhood", though I agree, you're looking at closer to a 20 minute commute.

Contributor
AskingForTroubl

It's 20-30min during rush-hour since it's jam packed to that exit off 520. I know several of us live in that area so def a MSFT neighborhood. It can also be in the "MS campus" area since it's pretty close to RTC offices so maybe a 5-10min drive.

Super Contributor
oddman

It is a strangely popular development.  I think it might be because it is somewhat like "estates"   found in the EU and other parts of the world.

I am impressed how much the homes go for, it is not even really walkable to DT Redmond.  But people seem to like it.

Regular Contributor
White_Lotus

This is really a question rather than a comment, but don't those Microsoft Connector Bus take the employees to and from work? I see employees coming out of their offices, making the call on their Windows Phones, 5 mins later a shuttles comes. There have to be hundreds of those little shuttle vans running around campus, I have a hard time believing they only travel to Microsoft buildings. I've seen them on regular city streets so I know they go off campus.

So basically my comment is, if the shuttle bus takes you to and from Microsoft Campus, that mitigates the worry of a long commute somewhat because the stress is taken out of the commute. Also, if you look at the location of the OP's link there's ample opportunity to take the city streets. You don't have to take a freeway to get to MSFT campus from that location.

Super Contributor
GreenAcres

[ Edited ]

Clarification of the above:  MS has a corporate shuttle system that transports employees between MS buildings including satellite campuses like Lincoln Center, Advanta, RTC, etc. throughout the day. 

The MS Connector buses transport employees from designated private park & ride centers throughout Seattle and the Eastside to MS Redmond campus in the mornings and evenings.  Microsoft does not have a door-to-door shuttle system that brings employees from home to campus.  I don't think the subject property is near a Connector system park & ride center.

Regular Contributor
Mtndude

I asked because I think that the "Microsoft" neighborhood is silly.   There is no Microsoft neighborhood on the map. 

It just seems like a marketing tactic by this agent...  Sure everything is close to Microsoft, if you don't mind commuting for 30 minutes or more.

The Microsoft Connectors are great addition to the community.  They keep many cars off the roads.

I take the 545 bus from Redmond to Seattle everyday.  9 times out of t0 I do not get a seat on the way home.  More and more there are people standing headed towards Seattle in the morning.

My employer pays for the pass, I walk to the stop in the morning.  It adds probably 15 minutes on each way to my commute.

$7 in tolls plus at least $4 in gas saved every day.

I have heard there is Coffee and donuts at the Microsoft Connector stops though :smileywink:

Super Contributor
oddman

I think it is fair enough for an agent to put Microsoft  neighborhood  in the description.  there are some spots that are simply packed with employees, ex-employees and  contractors.

I see those bright green parking tags in so many driveways it is scary.  Should MSFT stumble badly the entire eastside will be devalued, not even Google nor Amazon can pickup the slack.

There must be  50,000 or more home owners in the area who depend directly on MSFT for a living,  and some data puts dependency on Microsoft  as high as 8%  of ALL jobs in WA.