Regular Contributor
rational

Is a permit required to repair a cracked slab foundation?

I'm looking at a Form 17 where the question "Are there any defects with the following" was answered with a check mark for "Slab Floors" and the comment was "Slab was cracked and repaired". I'm assuming this is referring to the foundation. Redfin's listing page for the home lists the following under Building Information:

* Poured Concrete Foundation

* Slab Foundation

I put the above two pieces of info together to conclude that form 17 is referring to a cracked foundation that was repaired.

I looked at the King County permit history for this home but didn't find any permits. I was looking at the history of another home which was issued a permit to repair a cracked foundation. Based on this, I'm wondering if the house I'm looking at repaired the foundation without a permit. Is a permit repaired? Will a home inspector be able to determine if the repair was done and if so, how well it was done?

There are sloping floors and diagonal cracks emanating from the top left corner of a doorway, suggesting that there is still a problem somewhere with the structure.

Regular Contributor
MarkCorcoran

Re: Is a permit required to repair a cracked slab foundation?

This sounds like it was the cracks in the basement floor (slab).  This is common in this area and with the vintage of homes we have here.  However, this does not eliminate the need for further investigation.  Have your agent ask the listing agent to get the seller to explain.  What was done, when, and why? 

Then make sure you have a licensed general contractor come during the last hour of the inspection.  This way, the contractor can look at the slab and determine the quality of the fix, need for future fixes, etc.  The contractor should be able to provide you with a ballpark cost, if any, as well as take a look at any other items that were discovered during the inspection.

Regular Contributor
rational

Thanks Mark. Listing agent didn't know, so we have to talk to the seller.

Do you know if a permit is required for such repair?

Regular Contributor
Hacker

There should have been inspections when the house was first constructed on the foundation.  Slab foundations are always prone to cracking.  But if the time between repair and now is relatively short, I'd look into getting a soil analysis done to see if the ground where the house is built is prone to settling.

Regular Contributor
adh

Most likely it is a slab floor, not a foundation.  Slab foundations are not common here (PNW).  I don't know if a permit is required to repair, but repairs are typically for looks and to prevent water intrusion.  Cracking slab floors are fairly common and not a structural issue.

Regular Contributor
seaca

I'd ask the seller who did the work and find out if it was a licensed contractor.  Typically that licensed contractor knows if he needed to get the permits, and could provide that detail on the permits if they exist.