Visitor
marlin_princess

Is 2.5% commission for buyer's agent typical for standard sales?

I am a first time buyer and have gone back and forth about using Redfin. In the end, I finally decided to go with Redfin because of the great refund policy.

We reached mutual acceptance last night, and this morning I received an email from Redfin stating that my refund was much less than I had calculated (39.9% less, to be exact). When I saw the number I was stunned - I had factored that anticipated refund amount into my ability to come up with sufficient cash to close. I'm not sure how I'm going to do that now.

When I asked my agent to explain, she said that "Most homes in this price point do offer 3%, but the seller in this instance advertised 2.5%." This was definitely new information to me, and my agent confirmed that she had not discussed this with me at any point.

In general, I believe my agent is honest and would not intentionally withhold something like this - but after seeing that larger dollar figure in huge font and yellow background every day through the entire tour-offer-counter-etc. process - this seriously feels like a bait-and-switch. Yes - I saw the asterisk and knew it was an "anticipated" refund amount, based on 3%... but even at the Redfin Homebuyer's class they said 3% was standard except for bank-owned and short sales. Since this was a totally standard, straight-forward sale, it never occurred to me that this would be anything less than the typical, standard commission/refund.

This incident has completely shaken my trust in this whole purchase process and Redfin's value of "transparency." Has anyone else encountered a sub-3% commission on a regular home sale? If so, when in the purchase process did you learn about the lower commission / refund? Are there any other unhappy / expensive surprises I should be bracing for between now and closing?

Contributor
stannius

Re: Is 2.5% commission for buyer's agent typical for standard sales?

It is not Redfin that made the comission less. It is the seller. What would you have Redfin do? Eat the 1/2%?

About all you could argue is that it should have been more prominently displayed on the listing, but it's too late for that. The commission still isn't locked in yet - for instance your lender might disallow any refund.

Is 1/2% really going to make or break the sale for you? Are you putting only 3.5% down?

Super Contributor
LostInSeattle

[ Edited ]

stannius wrote:

What would you have Redfin do? Eat the 1/2%?

^This (if the situation is as described).

I know that the number in yellow is estimated, but it sounds like the commission difference should have been disclosed much earlier in the process. As I am using Redfin because of the commission rebate, this concerns me. Of course, there are two sides to every story and I a not doubting the OP, but I am hoping Redfin will weigh in here.

Visitor
marlin_princess

[ Edited ]

I'm not suggesting that Redfin set that commission, intentionally hid it from me, or now has to "eat the 1/2%". Rather, I am asking if this is a common scenario that others have experienced, and if so, when do they typically learn about the lower commission / refund.

The sub-standard commission rate was not listed in the public listing, nor any of the paperwork I reviewed. I thought perhaps I had missed it somewhere in the contract or forgotten my agent mentioning it, but she confirmed I had not. (Like I said, I believe she is honest.)

As I said in my post - I am a first time buyer. I have worked very hard to educate myself about the home-buying process, but I know there inevitably must be questions I didn't know to ask and assumptions I should have verified. This incident caught me off-guard. It feels inconsistent with all the messaging I have received from Redfin so far, so I want to know if this was a fluke sale, or something I should have somehow known to ask about.

Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

Did you ever click on the rebate link that explains the rebate in the yellow rebate box?

Regular Contributor
Johnny23

marlin_princess wrote:

I'm not suggesting that Redfin set that commission, intentionally hid it from me, or now has to "eat the 1/2%". Rather, I am asking if this is a common scenario that others have experienced, and if so, when do they typically learn about the lower commission / refund.

The sub-standard commission rate was not listed in the public listing, nor any of the paperwork I reviewed. I thought perhaps I had missed it somewhere in the contract or forgotten my agent mentioning it, but she confirmed I had not. (Like I said, I believe she is honest.)

As I said in my post - I am a first time buyer. I have worked very hard to educate myself about the home-buying process, but I know there inevitably must be questions I didn't know to ask and assumptions I should have verified. This incident caught me off-guard. It feels inconsistent with all the messaging I have received from Redfin so far, so I want to know if this was a fluke sale, or something I should have somehow known to ask about.

In my experience, when there was a non-standard arrangement of commission (1% off for both agents, etc. or that one time where the generous FSBO owner promised the buyer's agent all of $300), it was clearly listed on the MLS listing data.

Visitor
marlin_princess

Nanomug wrote:

Did you ever click on the rebate link that explains the rebate in the yellow rebate box?

Yes, I clicked on the rebate link and read the explanation in detail. The refund I anticipated was based on that explanation and the3% Buyer's Agent Commission repeatedly referenced on that page.

Gold Contributor
Venturion

To answer your question, yes there are numerous other potential unhappy surprises you will face:

1. Lender - a bunch of inappropriate fees on the HUD-1 statement for closing

2. Seller concessions - once you find problems in the inspection, the seller will refuse to fix them

3. Final walk-through - stuff may disappear between the final walk-through and when you have the keys (at closing)

4. Showings - you think you have a ratified contract; a lazy listing agent might still show the property as active and/or show it

5. Rate extension - weird things delay closing and your lender says you have to pay $1,500 to extend your rate lock

(too many more to list)

I hate this industry.  Have a great weekend.

Contributor
stannius

[ Edited ]

Personally, I plan to count the refund as gravy. It's too late for you, but if 1/2% ($1,718 in the OP's case) makes or breaks you financially, you can't afford the house.

Regular Contributor
Dooley

Respectfully, I think you should take a deep breath and assume it was a oversite and nothing intentional. If your agent has done a fair job representing your interests, then your a lucky person. There are so many challenges coming your way as a buyer or seller. You need to pick your battle wisely. Otherwise, be suspect, step away from the process and find a another agent/company to work for you. I am neither a buyer or seller currently but own ALOT of property in Seattle and Eastside, Mistakes happen and I think you would serve yourself well by giving the agent the benefit of the doubt. Believe me I am no fan of agents. But when you find a good one, the relationship is like any other....it takes work. Good luck.