Contributor
BWEI

How much will swimming pool add to the cost of your home insurance?

Hi everyone,

I just toured a house that has a swimming pool. I have heard that swimming pool will add extra cost to your home insurance, but have no idea how much will it add.  Thanks advance for any information.

Redfin Associate Agent
JanelleS

Re: How much will swimming pool add to the cost of your home insurance?

Hi BWEI,

I was able to find this fairly generic page on Answers.com:

The simple answer: It depends. Many factors will vary the answer: the situation of the house; how common pools are in the area; above-ground vs in-ground; is there a fence; is there a diving board or slide; and other similar questions. Generally speaking, in Northern climates, where pools are not very common, the rates will be higher. In Southern or hotter climates, where pools are more common, the rates will be negligible. Calling around for informal quotes is your best bet.

Seemed like good advice, but I wish I could add more specifics. Here is the link in case you'd like to read it for yourself.

Janelle Saylor | Redfin Open Book Manager - Listings
Redfin Open Book
Silver Regular Contributor
AvocadoApplnce

BWEI wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just toured a house that has a swimming pool. I have heard that swimming pool will add extra cost to your home insurance, but have no idea how much will it add.  Thanks advance for any information.

I bet the cost of keeping it clean far exceeds the insurance costs.

Redfin Partner Agent
GentryS

Call your local insurance agent.  That way you're getting a realistic figure.  Insurance agents will provide you this information free of charge.

Gentry Stretz | Redfin Partner Agent
See all my deals & reviews
Super Contributor
sbr287

BWEI wrote:

Hi everyone,

WARNING!  Pools can be fun - especially on those few days a year when there are lots of people using it.  But, costs are.......

When we moved to Atlanta, in 2001, we bought a house with a pool.  First thing we did was have an electric cover put on - which was expensive, but gave us peace of mind re folks fallling in.  Fortunately, the installation of the cover gave us a good excuse to remove the diving board.  (I have heard it said that most serious accidents in pools involve the diving board.)  

I would not be very very hesitant to ever buy a house with a pool again (and Atlanta is probably more conducive to having a pool than PNW, so the benefits were probably greater).   When we had to sell in 2008, the presence of the pool made it very difficult; the drought did not help, but anyway, there is a very thin market for folks wanting houses with pools.