Contributor
eastsidemom

Converting Electric Stove/Range to Gas?

Hoping all the gurus out there can help!  I love cooking on a gas range but some of the older homes we are looking at have a free-standing electric range as part of the counter-island.  How easy/ hard-- and approx how much does it cost to convert this into a gas range?  I wonder if electric ranges were the rage in the 80's since I cannot understand how homes which have gas for fireplaces don't have gas in the kitchen?  I can live without granite, but cooking on electric is a real bummer.  Thanks for any and all input.

Super Contributor
GreenAcres

Re: Converting Electric Stove/Range to Gas?

You can't convert an electric stove to gas.  You can convert propane stoves to gas. 

If you want to install a gas range, you'll need to figure out if the gas line has been stubbed to the kitchen.  If not, hire a mechanical contractor to run the gas line to the kitchen and get the gas range installed. 

A lot of people (rightly or wrongly) dislike gas stoves due to safety concerns.  Some people (like myself) just dislike them because there are safer, more efficient and cleaner ways to cook.

Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

If gas is available where the stove/range is then you can purchase a gas stove/range and install it there.  If gas is not available there then look at the location of the stove/range.  Is it on an exterior wall?  Is there a basement? What kind of foundation? Is the garage on the other side? Is it in an island?  The location will determine the ease in installing a new gas line.  

However if house does not have gas the cost would be astronomical and maybe impossible in getting the gas company to bring gas to your property.  There is propane which will work in a similar way.

Trusted Contributor
Sleepwalker

Nanomug wrote:

If gas is available where the stove/range is then you can purchase a gas stove/range and install it there.  If gas is not available there then look at the location of the stove/range.  Is it on an exterior wall?  Is there a basement? What kind of foundation? Is the garage on the other side? Is it in an island?  The location will determine the ease in installing a new gas line.  

However if house does not have gas the cost would be astronomical and maybe impossible in getting the gas company to bring gas to your property.  There is propane which will work in a similar way.

I think PSE will bring gas to your house for free if you upgrade 3 appliances(e.g., water heater, gas range, furnace, etc.) to gas.

At least that's what I've been told by multiple real estate agents trying to convince me it's negligable getting gas to a house without it.

Super Contributor
GreenAcres

Be careful in taking an agent's word for this... check it out yourself!!  There are alot of places on the Eastside/So. Snoho Cty  that you still cannot get gas due to state regulations re: running utilities under state hwys (ie: 203, 9, etc.)

Trusted Contributor
Sleepwalker

GreenAcres wrote:

Be careful in taking an agent's word for this... check it out yourself!!  There are alot of places on the Eastside/So. Snoho Cty  that you still cannot get gas due to state regulations re: running utilities under state hwys (ie: 203, 9, etc.)

Good point. True or not, I'm only referring to Seattle city proper where there's likely gas already in the street.

Trusted Contributor
Sleepwalker

Visitor
Mr_Sparky

Electrically speaking, the current electric 240v line can be converted at the panel and at the location to 120v.  Or if there is 120v available a new location can be added for the ignitor.  It may be worth looking for a dual fuel, as electric ovens tend to be better performing.  And likely can use the existing for the power.

Additionally please note that PSE will bring the gas line to your home but you will be responsible for the gas lines within, hire a reputable contractor and permit all work.

Mr. Sparky

Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

When gas is in the street (or at the door) then it's likely possible.  It's when the nearest gas line is miles away that it becomes debatable.  There are two issues to overcome for this: getting gas to the house and getting it to the appliance.

I looked at the link and saw the rebates.  I must be blind because I couldn't see anything that indicated running the gas lines. 

BTW I love electric for baking and gas for cooking.  I have a dual fuel stove/range and love it.  

Silver Regular Contributor
Melner

Most of the houses I've seen on the Eastside have gas furnaces. Since this is "eastsidemom" it's likely there's already a gas line to the house. I've heard that it can be a couple $thousand to get the gas line extended to the kitchen. An alternative is to get an induction electric cooktop. Supposedly these are even better for cooking than gas. The cooktop stays cool to the touch. They're $1200+.