Regular Contributor
hibiscus

Are you going to list in the spring?

I know someone who is just waiting out the holidays before she lists her house. Are there other sellers out there ready to sell? If so, when are you going to list? January? April? (I will be putting a house about a week after I successfully buy one- no matter when that is.)

I am hoping, perhaps quixotically, that inventory starts getting back to normal this year. 

Contributor
Grebus

Re: Are you going to list in the spring?

I am in the same situation as you--waiting to sell until I find the right one to buy.  We've already been looking for 3 years or so since our requirements are many, but my hopes are still high that something will happen after the first of the year.

Regular Contributor
Tom_Tugboat

We held onto our first house due to the market. It now has a value that in my mind is where it should be/have been before this mess all started.

My tenants are leaving soon, so now is the time to finally sell.

Visitor
animageofmine

I am a first time buyer and looking forward to buy a house based on my requirements on east side (redmond/kirkland), and the inventory is so low that I am planning to wait for more time, because my agent informed me that there would be more constructions opening up in spring 2013.

For now this seems like a deadlock...sellers waiting to buy a property before selling, buyers waiting for sellers to open a listing and new constructions relatively low. Sounds like a dependency loop.

Super Contributor
Pratt

There are many types of sellers. Some are retiring and moving out or people selling of houses after an aging owner moved on, etc.

Those types of sellers, will be listing  still. Also new construction is being predicted to pick up next year...

Redfin Open Book Member
ElleSeattle

As a general contractor with a division that focuses heavily on getting properties ready to sell, I like to think of us a bellweather to the Seattle market because sellers contact us about 4-8 weeks before they sell.  Our phones are ringing off the hook with people looking to hit the market starting in mid-January.  I think we'll see a lot of new inventory, but still nowhere near enough to keep up with demand in the core areas of Seattle and close-in suburbs.

Regular Contributor
hibiscus

R-S-L, That is music to my ears! 

Super Contributor
ardell

I used to wait until after Jan 1, and so did most agents, because the mls # always told you what year it was listed as in 28xxxxxx for 2008 and then 29xxxxxx for 2009 and we didn't want a 2008 mls number by listing near the end of December. But they stopped doing that in 2010 I think.

I just entered a new listing 5 minutes ago and will have another one likely around the 15th, but only because the owner isn't moving out until Jan 4 or so. The market is pretty strong, so there hasn't really been much reason to "wait". Though this is probably the first year I have ever said that in 22 plus years.

ARDELL DellaLoggia
Sound Realty
Regular Visitor
Teagen

R-S-L, if any of your customers are looking to sell a home on Queen Anne, let me know!

Silver Contributor
ReallyEstate

Interesting to hear the replies.  The prices have risen high enough for people to sell houses, but the issue may now be more housing availability.  You can't put your house on the market if the price for the house into which you want to move is rediculous or you get outbid on things.  I wonder if it will continue to be nice and frustrating all around.