Contributor
SDPA

Should I dump my buyers agent and go with the sellers agents of the properties I like?

I'm in San Diego and I have been trying to buy a house here for the last year. Inventory was real bad at the start of this year and it has gotten much worse in the past few months. I've lost every house I've bid on this year except one. After I won that bid my agent seemed in a mad rush to get the deal done ASAP. She said the house looked good and I probably should not even waste my money with a home inspection. But I did not take her advice and I went ahead with the inspection and my inspector found major issues with the house. I cancelled the contract due to these issues and now I'm back to square one.

Earlier in the year when I was losing bids my agent did not seem know why. She would say we probably lost it to a cash offer and I would ask her if she could find out for sure but she would never get back to me with the information. I just assumed the lack of info was just how things were done and my agent's behavior was par for the course. Whether or not this is just how things are done here, I'm sick of it. I'm also sick of losing bids on houses.

In the past year I have learned that a lot agents only care about making a quick sale for the most commison and moving on. So thinking about appealing to their greed and dropping my agent and just watch the market for the next house that comes on and then calling the seller's agent and telling them to rep me so they can double their commison. A guy I work with did this last year after losing out on 20 offers and it worked out for him. I was wondering if any of you have done this? What do I need to look out for with the contracts? Should I get an attorney to look over the final deal before I sign because I know the seller's agent is only responsible to the seller but from what I've seen in the past year, greed seems to be the primary concern with a lot of agents here in San Diego. I'm hoping that the double commison will motivate the agent put my name at the top of the list, for a change.  

Silver Contributor
basschick

Re: Should I dump my buyers agent and go with the sellers agents of the properties I like?

why not just find a better agent - i would never use an agent who advised me to buy without an inspection, which you can get done within 2 to 3 days from some inspectors.  we tried three agents before we found the one we're using now, and working with her is an entirely different experience.  one of the 4 agents we've tried pushed us hard to buy, but the rest didn't - there are some great agents out there who not only give good advice but also know how to make a stronger offer, and that can help when it comes to being the accepted offer.

Silver Contributor
hg213

Re: Should I dump my buyers agent and go with the sellers agents of the properties I like?

basschick wrote:

why not just find a better agent - i would never use an agent who advised me to buy without an inspection, which you can get done within 2 to 3 days from some inspectors.  we tried three agents before we found the one we're using now, and working with her is an entirely different experience.  one of the 4 agents we've tried pushed us hard to buy, but the rest didn't - there are some great agents out there who not only give good advice but also know how to make a stronger offer, and that can help when it comes to being the accepted offer.

I agree that the OP should drop the agent just because of the "advice" about not getting an inspection.

If you are buying this property as your residence, which I assume you are, then you should definitely NOT go with the seller's agent.  Indeed, unless you are experienced with buying properties, you should not go with the seller's agent, even if  it is an investment property you are buying.

Get another buyer's agent.

Contributor
Aurobindo

According to the situation you have to choose the better retaler or buyer who can satisfy your thought. If you could not satisfied with the buyer agent then you must tell the issue as well as do it with your own way no need of dumping anybody.

Regular Visitor
Capstone_HI

First off congratulations to your home inspector!  There is nothing like an impartial professional third party review of your intended sale or purchase to give you an unbiased assessment so you can make an informed decision!

I've had the opportunity of working with many many different real estate professionals over the years.  IMHO you will find two different types.  One being a transaction based realtor.  These have been lean times for quite some time now and they need a sale commission now to pay their bills "now"!  The other type is a client based realtor.  They will want to make sure that you get the best deal possible!  They want you as a friend and for future business and or referrals.  

I would suggest that you find a client based real estate professional!

Contributor
PadreFan

I am lucky enough to have a brother who is an excellent realtor in CA. I asked him the same question " should i just go with the sellers agent?". His response was "do you want the house?" ..Long story short if the realtor can "double end" it they keep both commisions. To answer your question, if you are in business and you have two equal offers but one pays double, which one would you go with? I know someone is going to chime in here and say something or some type of sales pitch about having a responsability to the seller and representing their interest etc...etc...so let me emphasize "all things even, equal offers" you have an advantage. I know many also prefer to keep a deal "in house" since its elinates a lot of unecessary leg work of cordinating with multiple parties. My wife and I have also been looking and we have spoken to several selling agents and I can verify there is a motivated response. This can also be very helpful when deciding what to offer. One suggestions that was recomended to me is a real estate attorney to look over the docs which you can have done for less than a grand and selecting your own inspector. Remeber on a 500k house that is 15k for your realtor. it is not uncommon to offer the selling realtor 4.5% and giving back 1.5% to the seller. Again on a 500K house the selling realtor gets an extra $7500 and the sellor pays $7500 less in realtors fees thus strenthening your offer significantly. I am all for it.

New Visitor
bild-o

[ Edited ]

I think this is a very effective way to increase the attractiveness of your offer. It worked for me. I also hired a RE lawyer to review everything.

Contributor
Phat8594

SDPA wrote:

I'm in San Diego and I have been trying to buy a house here for the last year. Inventory was real bad at the start of this year and it has gotten much worse in the past few months. I've lost every house I've bid on this year except one. After I won that bid my agent seemed in a mad rush to get the deal done ASAP. She said the house looked good and I probably should not even waste my money with a home inspection. But I did not take her advice and I went ahead with the inspection and my inspector found major issues with the house. I cancelled the contract due to these issues and now I'm back to square one.

Earlier in the year when I was losing bids my agent did not seem know why. She would say we probably lost it to a cash offer and I would ask her if she could find out for sure but she would never get back to me with the information. I just assumed the lack of info was just how things were done and my agent's behavior was par for the course. Whether or not this is just how things are done here, I'm sick of it. I'm also sick of losing bids on houses.

I would 100% drop your agent for a new one.  Any LA that is willing to compromise their ethics to their seller just to double end a deal is not someone I would trust a transaction to.  For all you know, they could totally screw you.  You might 'get' the house....but you also might 'get' a whole lot of issues.

In my experience you are best off finding a reputable, honest, and good (at what they do) buyers agent.  They will know how to write up the contract to protect you, yet look good to the seller.  They will also know how to give your offer the best chance it has of getting accepted.  You would be surprised at how many agents don't even call the Listing Agent when submitting an offer.

So yeah...my advice....find a good agent to represent you....and not the seller as well.  When making an investment as large as a house, you want to make sure that you are in good hands....

Visitor
LJCzar

As an experienced buyer, I always try to be represented by the LA. The advantages are obvious. I have never been outbidded.

Contributor
Debbygilbert

I think you should go for a better real estate agent but before choosing next agent you should enquire about some important factors for successful real estate and type of services provided by agent.But don't rely on agent just have your own decision by analysis of deal.