Contributor
Could_be_anyone

Master bedroom downstairs

What's your opinion about having the master bedroom downstairs in a 2-story home?

How would you rank the desirabilty of these homes?

a. Master downstairs (20x14), 4 bedrooms (typically 10x12)  upstairs

b. Master upstairs (20x14), 3 other bedrooms (10x12) upstairs, one 10x12 bedroom with full attached bath downstairs (typical 5x9 bath)

c. Master downstairs (20x14), another smaller master upstairs (17x12) with master-sized bathroom but not as fancy, 3 other bedrooms (10x12) upstairs

Contributor
pampark

Re: Master bedroom downstairs

We owned a main floor master and while we enjoyed it, it was a very difficult sale.  The feedback that we received while trying to sell was all regarding the main floor master.  People do not consider a main floor master a traditional floor plan and most people are looking for "traditional" when purchasing a home.  Also, there is a very small niche (per a realtor) for a main floor master and that is for families that have children in the 14-18 year old age.  Older people do not like main floor masters because they still need to use the stairs to access the secondary bedrooms; so if they have a sewing/craft room or an office, they still need to use the stairs.  Finally, those with small children are terrified to be so far away from their littles ones...I personally did not find this to be a problem...but apparently my sentiment is far different than the majority of those purchasing homes!

Gold Trusted Contributor
Dag44

[ Edited ]

In the future I hope to trade my current home in for a single story because I hate going up and down the stairs and my husband and I are getting older. My current home has a downstairs master and I wouldn't have bought it if it didn't. Every single one of my friends and neighbors who've toured my home have remarked with some version of "oh, wow, I wish my master bedroom was downstairs, you're so lucky." I have not solicited these comments - they were just randomly made by my visitors. I am in and out of my master bedroom all the time and if I had to traipse up and down the stairs to it all day and night I would completely lose it.

My house best fits your C scenario - I have a bedroom upstairs with it's own standard bathroom and then 2 additional bedrooms with a Jack and Jill bath scenario as well as a big bonus room upstairs (not just a loft). When I have overnight guests they absolutely love the fact that they have their own little suite up there.

Additionally, I have a casita on the front of the house that my husband uses as his own since he works a graveyard shift and can sleep out there during the day and not be bothered by the noise inside the main house - this is probably the best feature of my house for our personal lifestyle. When my dad came to visit last year we gave him the casita and he was so jazzed about it - and so was I because I didn't have to have him in my face in the main house all the time, lol.

Having said all that though, I would have to concede that the vast majority of people with small children want their bedroom to be on the same floor as their childrens for obvious reasons.

Visitor
OldPro

Primary issue for all buyers:  Buyers want a true master bathroom (unshared), instead of a "jack and Jill" or bathroom shared at all by having a doorway into it other than a single one from inside the master bedroom.  Every home I did without a true master bathroom has been significantly more difficult to sell for that reason alone.  A deal breaker at otherwise market price and value for probably > 1/3 of buyers, and a price reduction needed for the rest.  Downstairs or upstairs was not the main issue.  If the bathroom for the master bedroom is the only bathroom downstairs, then it is even worse because it is shared with vistors and not just a family member.

Secondary issue for buyers with young kids: A master bedroom near the other bedrooms.  This can be a full deal breaker for young families because little kids need their parents throughout the night, often even until age 10 if they keep getting scared.  Again, downstairs versus upstairs is not specifically the issue, but rather proximity to kids bedrooms.

Contributor
Old-Pro

Primary issue for all buyers:  Buyers want a true master bathroom (unshared), instead of a "jack and Jill" or bathroom shared at all by having a doorway into it other than a single one from inside the master bedroom.  Every home I did without a true master bathroom has been significantly more difficult to sell for that reason alone.  A deal breaker at otherwise market price and value for probably > 1/3 of buyers, and a price reduction needed for the rest.  Downstairs or upstairs was not the main issue.  If the bathroom for the master bedroom is the only bathroom downstairs, then it is even worse because it is shared with vistors and not just a family member.

Secondary issue for buyers with young kids: A master bedroom near the other bedrooms.  This can be a full deal breaker for young families because little kids need their parents throughout the night, often even until age 10 if they keep getting scared.  Again, downstairs versus upstairs is not specifically the issue, but rather proximity to kids bedrooms.

Gold Trusted Contributor
Dag44

Old Pro - I agree with both your points. Incidentally, I also have an additional half bath on the main floor that guests can use - my master bedroom downstairs is entirely separate with it's own separate master bath. The Jack and Jill bathroom upstairs joins two of the bedrooms and the other bedroom upstairs has it's own bathroom - so in the main house I actually have 3.5 bathrooms and then there's the casita with it's own bathroom - so total bathrooms in the entire housing structure - 4.5 - hope that clarifies.

Visitor
Nagorak

[ Edited ]

Heaven forbid having to share a bathroom with visitors!  Oh my god, the horror!  How can anyone possibly live with such a miserable situation?

At least it provides a good deal to anyone who doesn't share these ridiculous concerns. 

Contributor
peabody99

[ Edited ]
Well I can see why people would prefer a master bath over shared. How about people that have to get ready for work when they have guests, but uncle Merle is taking his 45 minute constitiutional followed by 30 min hot shower and there is no other place to take care of your business?
Visitor
Nagorak

If the place has at least two bathrooms it's usually not going to be a problem.  Lacking a master bathroom is something people fret about, but which makes little or no difference in practice.  You can come up with scenarios where it's a problem, but the reality is they are so rare as to be basically irrelevant. 

That being said, people can buy or not buy a house for any reason they want.  But personally I think paying a lot more money for a place with a master bathroom probably isn't the wisest use of one's money. 

Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

LOL  We have frequent company and a downstairs bathroom shared with the master would be horrid.  Almost every day after school there is an assortment of teens in my home.  I would not want them in the master bath going through stuff. 

We owned a home with two masters.  One was off the living area and the other on the same level as the kids rooms.  We started off in the master off the living area and hated it.  With the various kids in/out I didn't have a sense of privacy of my stuff.  An eight year came out of the bathroom with feminine products asking what they were was end of that location.

It's both a privacy and safety issue for us.  We "hide" our medications in the master bath to keep them out of kids reach.  

Once the kidlets are launched my viewpoint will likely change.  We are looking into retirement options and our needs will change.