Visitor
yeanheard

Buying furniture from the seller of the home?

I'm in escrow on a home and am thinking of making an offer on the furniture in the home as well.  I understand that the seller is moving across the country and planning to sell close to all of the furniture in the place.  I'm currently in a much smaller apartment and will need to buy a fair amount of furniture for the home.  So, it seems like my purchasing the furniture as a lot could potentially be a win-win.  

My question is this: does anyone have any thoughts or advice on how much of a "discount" would be reasonable for me to ask for given that if I buy the furniture it will save the seller a great deal of additional time/$/energy since they won't have to sell each item piece by piece on craigslist or wherever?  Any and all thoughts folks may have appreciated!  

Gold Trusted Contributor
Dag44

Re: Buying furniture from the seller of the home?

Well, you could actually look at Craigslist and see what people are asking for their furniture. See if you can compare what the seller's furniture looks like to furniture you see in ads and what the stuff goes for brand new. Take a good look at the condition of the seller's furniture and ask how old it is. Obviously, if the seller is asking close to what you could buy the stuff for brand new then you're not getting a deal, right? If somebody was trying to sell me a sofa they paid 1k for 2 years ago and it was in excellent condition I'd probably offer them$200-$300 for it - but that's just me.

Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

Did they give you a number?  We've purchased furniture from a seller and have sold to a seller.  Generally the seller wants more than its worth and the buyer wants to pay less than its worth.  

What its worth is usually no where near what the original price was unless its antique or something over the top high end.

If you can strike a reasonable deal then its a win win for both of you.  You don't have to go shopping for furniture and they don't have to move/sell it.  Both of you win out in the deal in regards to getting needs taken care of.  It's not one sided on that end.

Contributor
VanillaBlue

The furniture is worth what you want to pay for it. Quickly go shopping and figure out what furniture will cost you. That will help you be more comfortable with your offer. Don't worry about insulting anyone. It's a simple yes no. Of course, it will help if you said or write something like,

"You have the best taste, and this furniture looks so georgous in this house, I'm sure I'll never be able to find such a great fit, if you would be willing to part with it, I can pay you XXX. Also mention that due to the downpayment and closing costs you know you can't pay as much as you would like to pay. ? How's that sound

Visitor
scindapsus

you should first search how people do in this case and then ask the seller for his/her price.

Regular Contributor
AgentCampus

It would be a good idea, but it depends on the price of the furniture. You can shop around furniture stores and see how much their furnitures cost compared to the price and quality of the furnitures that the seller has. You have to also check if these are antique items, and maybe both of you could end up on a good deal.

"The monotony and solitude of a quiet life stimulates the creative mind."

-Albert Einstein

Contributor
Davidsmith009

When people buy new home with furniture, then they leave their old furniture. You can consult with seller. Ask his/her, what types of furniture you want? and how much its cost?

Redfin Agent
jordanclarke

Generally when our Buyers are interested in buying any furniture of the Sellers we have the Buyers compile a list of items that they are interested in buying and then the Sellers provide a price for all or per item. In my experience, the Sellers usually give our Buyers great deals on these items because it saves them the hassle of Craigslist/Garage Sale/Cost of Moving. My only advice is to always have the Seller state a price first.

Jordan Clarke | Redfin San Diego Agent
See all my Deals and Reviews