Visitor
gershwyn

Physical presence during home buying process in California

Good day All,

I am searching for a home in Placer County, Lincoln, CA.

Do I need to be physically present for the signing loan documents once my offer has been accepted?

It just does not sound right. I have purchased a home in Nevada and everything was done from long distance. I have searched the internet and cannot find any California reference that says I have to be physically in California to sign the loan documents.

Any assistance in pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Contributor
redwood

Re: Physical presence during home buying process in California

It seems like you should be able to sign papers by going to a pre-arranged title company that has offices in your area. You will have to be present to someone so that they can verify your identity.

Silver Regular Contributor
Fishmarty

gershwyn wrote:

Good day All,

It just does not sound right. I have purchased a home in Nevada and everything was done from long distance. I have searched the internet and cannot find any California reference that says I have to be physically in California to sign the loan documents.

To purchase a California house, the escrow company needs you to be in their office to show them your ID and take your finger prints on the spot.

You don't do these when you purchased that Nevada house?

I guess I can find this out easily but I try to get a quick answer from you.

Redfin Partner Agent
JulieS

Hello,

You have to be physically present to sign your loan documents in front of a Notary Public, but it doesn't have to be where the property is.  People sign all over the place - foreign countries for military folks or travellers, other states, etc.  There must be an American Consulate with a Notary if your abroad, or a Notary in another State.  It's easy peasy :smileyhappy:  Julie S.

Julie