Visitor
kenkoy03

House with a dry rot should I buy it or let it go?

Good morning redfin,

The home inspector found a dry rot on the top outside the roof and one inside the by the window.Do you think this is bad or just easy to fix and doesnt cost me a lot of money ....My agent telling me dry rot was not a safety issue is this correct?

Thanks!

Super Contributor
Quest

Re: House with a dry rot should I buy it or let it go?

Hi Kenkoy,

The cause of the dryrot is what would concern me primarily; what did the inspection document about the roof?

Contributor
NorCalRealtor

Re: House with a dry rot should I buy it or let it go?

[ Edited ]

I would hire a contractor to bid out the cost of removal and replacement of these areas. There most likely is more to be found as they start going deeper in to the home but you will not know until you get started. 
My experience with my clients has never forced Dry Rot to be a deal breaker and the decision to move forward is always after further bid estimates from professionals that would be involved in fixing the issue. 

Dry Rot CAN BE a safety issue depending on how extensive the damage is and on what part of the structure. Typically thought the eve area behind the gutters and window trim (exterior is normal, your note about interior dry rot is concerning)  is where you will usually find this issue and most can be repaired or replaced at a reasonable cost.

Hope that helps.

Eddie Martini

DRE#01324382