Regular Visitor
Arman

Where to find rental homes?

Everyone seems to talk about rental homes but where exactly do you find listing for rentals?  Trulia has some but it's only a few in the price range I'm looking (2k-3.5k for 2000-3500sqft home).  Do you approach realtors themselves.  Also, I've seen some places that would like to rent on redfin.  Would you get in touch with realter.  I'm assuming it would be inappropriate to contact the seller directly.

Gold Contributor
BobPhillips-RE

Re: Where to find rental homes?

My advice, if you're looking to lease a house, would be this.  Align yourself with a Realtor to do searching of the MLS.  One, such as I, can give you a Listingbook account, which gives you MLS access, in a limited, but sufficient manner.

I may be wrong, but I don't think Redfin agents will help you with a lease.

Then, in addition to that one Realtor working for you, start scouring ALL the local publications - the Register, the Pennysaver, etc. - and Craigslist.  Just be prepared for scams on Craigslist. ( If a rental on Craigslist seem priced too low to be low - it is DEFINITELY a scam.  Scum from Nigeria cut and paste verbiage and photos from legitimate listings and advertise them at about 50% less - if you find something like that, do NOT believe it.) ( They continue to pull this scam so there must be SOME idiots out there who are foolish enough to send a money order to Nigeria, in exchange for the keys.  Guess what?  The keys never come, because they don't have them - all they have is the sucker's money.)

If you want a Listingbook account, go here:  http://coto.listingbook.com/    Good luck in your search.

All this, of course, is merely MY opinion. Thanks for reading.

Bob Phillips - Realty ONE Group - South Orange County, CA
Gold Contributor
TrabucoDom

realtor.com lists rentals...so does craigslist.

Gold Regular Contributor
Matt

Redfin agents don't help with leasing, sorry about that!

Matt Goyer
VP of Marketing Operations | matt.goyer@redfin.com | 206-859-2843
Twitter | My Seattle Condo Blog
Contributor
Ryurin

You can also check local property management companies' websites in the area you're looking for. "Property Management Orange County CA" should give you a few sites to look at. Most of them have sections for clients and sections for renters. Find their available rentals section and go from there!
Contributor
socountybuyer

TrabucoDom hit it right on the head.  Realtor.com lists all homes for lease on the MLS.  Just hit the drop down next to "Homes for Sale and choose rentals and your price range.  Craiglist is a little harder to wade through but the prices are a little lower and always room for negotiation.  Now is a great time to......rent!

Gold Contributor
BobPhillips-RE

[ Edited ]

"Now is a great time to......rent!"

Anyone who truly believes THAT statement, is probably a landlord.

Now is a horrible time to rent, and it has been for this entire year.

Any rental worth its salt, has multiple applications within a week - even now, during the slow season.

AND, you had better have PRISTINE credit - FICOs of at LEAST 650 - no pets, and not smoke. 

Then hope that one of the OTHER applicants doesn't have better FICOs.

All this, of course, is merely MY opinion. Thanks for reading.

Bob Phillips - Realty ONE Group - South Orange County, CA
Super Contributor
AlexSin

If you do not have 20% for a down payment you are better off renting than buying. Mortgage insurance is the deal breaker especially in a down market. But with 20% down you end up paying less than rental even when you include property tax and HOA and in addition you get much larger tax deduction and paying off the balance of the loan. The difference could easily be over $1,000 per month in favor of ownership.

But if property will lose about 3% of its value per year you are looking at break even situation.

Today you can

1) buy below the apprised value (gives you some cushion),

2) have a greater selection, 

3)favorably negotiate closing costs and

4) Even get a portion of commissions refunded.

Silver Regular Contributor
cdcrezz

It was awhile ago, but we foung our rental on Realtor.com.  I also remember checking the local throw away newspaper in the classified section.  If you are not represented by an agent, there is nothing inappropriate about you contacting a home owner. You are not obligated by someone else's contract.