Silver Contributor
basschick

why do listing agents include pics like this?

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Sherman-Oaks/5420-Sylmar-Ave-91401/unit-220/home/4693318

check the last pic - i would say that it doesn't really sell the place *LOL*

we've seen a condo that had a closeup of a ceramic frog, one that had pics of the owners' dogs, and of course, there's the place with the twins.  but in a way, i'd say this pic is funnier and even less useful. 

Redfin Partner Agent
Adam-la

Re: why do listing agents include pics like this?

Are you referring to the photo with the key boxes?   If so, they do that so that agents taking clients to see the property can figure out which one is the correct box for the particular home.  Generally, a small explanation in the agent notes will say something like "third box from left on upper row with white sticker."   It may not help 'sell the home' to a consumer but it is immensely helpful to agents.  In some buildings, I've had to literally open every lock box to try and find the right key.  

Keybox lesson for the day:

That square white one in the upper right is at least 6 years old and no longer usable with current key systems, the reddish ones on the lower right  are probably from a banks owned property and set aside for repair workers/asset managers.  There are two sizes of current Supra boxes (the blue ones) with the larger ones being bluetooth compatible so I can simply use a smartphone to open the box.  The smaller ones are being phased out over the next 12-24 months.  

The wall mounted one in the upper right is probably for a building maintenance person (elevator, pool, etc)

The small black one in the middle is a combo box probably for an asset manager.  

The larger black box in the upper right looks like a masterlock brand one and could be a homeowner's.  

Silver Contributor
basschick

ah, an actual reason - didn't see that coming ;-)

Gold Regular Contributor
Andiamo53

Thank you Adam for your lockbox lesson. While this is more than I ever wanted to know about lockboxes, your contributions remain helpful, as ever.

Silver Regular Contributor
WheelinDealin

[ Edited ]

Actually, I appreciate that pic. It lets you know that there is a lock box and generally where it is located. It is never fun to hunt around for the lockbox when viewing properties.Wish more agents did this. I have wasted much time hunting around properties for the lockbox, only to find it in some strange location, like on a gas line.

Super Contributor
inspector_guy

Home inspectors have their own "door opener."

Gold Regular Contributor
Andiamo53

[ Edited ]

Okay everyone, explain THIS picture--my favoite new dumb photo of the week--from a property located on a reallly busy/noisy part of Silver Lake Blvd

On second thought, considering the flippers did almost no work to the property--hence  included no pictures of the exterior (which looks like the Bates Motel) or the bathroom or really any other rooms (excpt the front one)  --I guess several shots of the ping pong table makes perfect sense. At a $700K asking price, I would demand that that the table be included with the purchase :-)

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angeles/2350-Silver-Lake-Blvd-90039/home/7066816?

Silver Regular Contributor
WheelinDealin

Your right, outside does look like crap, but that is a killer location right across the street from the reservoir. There are some beautiful houses there. That's one of the best parts of SilverLake in my opinion. I don't know about the street noise. It is a busy street, but it's not like cars are going fast there.

Gold Regular Contributor
Andiamo53

WheelinDealin wrote:

Your right, outside does look like crap, but that is a killer location right across the street from the reservoir. There are some beautiful houses there. That's one of the best parts of SilverLake in my opinion. I don't know about the street noise. It is a busy street, but it's not like cars are going fast there.

It's a terrible part of the street because pretty much all day long cars are backed up to that location due to the light at Glendale. And for that reason, there are no beautiful houses from that point on  all the way to Glendale. It would take some sucker who is completely unfamiliar with the neighborhood to pay $700K for  that  totally run down house. But then again, who but a sucker would be enticed by all those ridiculous pictures of the  ping pong table?

Contributor
justlookin

[ Edited ]

I'm voting for ths property as my 2012 pick for 'touch all bases" flipper catagory. There's photos for

1. moderists (living room)

2. traditionalists (see rocking chair)

3. alcoholics(great pic of alcohol bottle)

4.sports fans (ping pong, anyone?)

5. collectors (see rust)

6.nihilists (no pictures available)

7.nudists (lie out on the roof all the time)

and suckers!!!  Pay thousands more than we paid in June! Life is good!!!