Trusted Contributor
mnsweeps

Need to update the address on Certificate of Trust in my revocable living trust.

I recently bought a home and I checked with my lawyer who made the living trust. She said living trusts don't have an address per say but the only thing that can be changed is the CERTIFICATE OF TRUST. Its not required but is advisable. I asked her and she said it would cost me $100 including the notarization. I think thats a high price as I looked at the COT and all it is, is a 3 page document and one the second page it shows our old home address. That needs to be changed to the new home address. Anyone done this on their own as I have free notarization from AAA being a premium member. I think all I am looking for is an amendment page to the COT.

Silver Contributor
basschick

Re: Need to update the address on Certificate of Trust in my revocable living trust.

our lawyer would have charged $250 for it.

Visitor
RicLippincott

Re: Need to update the address on Certificate of Trust in my revocable living trust.

Why pay anyone anything to do something you can easily do yourself?

Step 1. Go here and get the form free: http://www.chicagotitle.com/pdfs/LegalForm/CA/CETRUST.pdf

Step 2. Fill it out and get it signed in front of a notary.

Step 3. Put it on the cover of your Trust. Then make sure your attorney has a copy of your trust, and the trustees have copies, and maybe a sibling just for good measure.

Step 4. NOT necessary, but if you wish, send a copy to your Title Insurance company and ask them to put the Cert. of Trust in your Title file.

You're good to go.

There. I just saved you anywhere from a hundred to two hundred fifty bucks. :smileyhappy:

Now my disclaimer: This information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed.

Trusted Contributor
mnsweeps

Thanks Ric. I already have the COT which is similar from my attorney and was done 2 years back when we created the living trust. Somewhere on the COT there is a line where my attorney put my old address. That's the only line that needs to be changed. So instead of a new COT all I need is a addendum which says our new address is so  and so ...and I am looking for a format for that addendum / amendment.

Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

If the $100 includes notorization and filing fees then I'd go that route.  If not, I'd do it myself with a new COT. 

However, if I was unsure about the correct way to file and/or what form to use I'd pay the $100 for peace of mind.

Super Contributor
PonziScheme

What are you using the Certificate of Trust for? I don't get it.

Trustee Certification form does not include address.

If you want your new house to be in the name of your trust, you need to re-title it in the name of the trust.

Seen so many people create a trust but never bother to change title to their assets into their Revocable Trust and end up going into Probate.

Trusted Contributor
mnsweeps

COT has mine and my wife's old address. The trust itself doesn't have any address. The amendment is to correct our old addresses even though its not required. To change the property title, I need to provide the COT to the right folks..