Visitor
deesee

Looking for insight into Highland Park (East of Fig, South of York)

My wife and I found this really nice house for sale in Highland Park and the price is right and we're thinking of buying it. However, we are not familiar with this area and are looking for some insight.

The house is East of Fig, and South of York. I guess the closest landmark is the Highland Park Recreation Center, West of Fig. The street seems decent, but we've only been there, on the weekends, during the day time.

One of our concerns is crime. I've heard that HP can be rough, but that in some pockets its just fine. We'd like to know if this area we're looking at is one of those pockets. We don't expect any area to be 100% safe, and having grown up in Brooklyn, NY, we can live with your typical small stuff which you can find most anywhere. 

We just thought we'd try to get some more info from some of you great people here on this forum.

Thanks in advance! 

Regular Visitor
losfelizlove

Re: Looking for insight into Highland Park (East of Fig, South of York)

hi deesee...is the house in question on Echo st.?  we almost got one over there-loved the house...I don't think it's worse that Williamsburg back in the 90's..or Redhook before the Ikea was built-But, we decided we wouldn't love walking around that area, or driving out to the immediate stores-and backed out.  Also the metro train ran pretty close, and it kind of bugged me.  However, I don't think it's that bad if you're pretty much going to stick around the house, and then drive outside of the neighborhood for stuff.  But I definitely would have an alarm system for the house.  But also try asking the immediate neighbors how they feel.  Ultimately we would have done it if we had gotten a better price, w/ no metro train!!  Best of luck to you-
Visitor
popo187

Hi Deesee,

Check out: http://www.lapdcrimemaps.org/

It's not a bad source to see the crime stats of the area. It's a predominatly Hispanic area that has it's share of gang problems due SouthWest of the location you are asking about. Like LosFeliz said, you have to consider the train, unlike South Pasadena that gets low blowing horns and slower speeds.

Good luck....
Visitor
deesee

Hi losfelizlove, you got it right, its on Echo St. We are both architects and we feel that the house has a lot of potential and we're ripe for the chance to fix it up.

Your opinion is pretty much what we thought. It's a nice area, pretty quiet, and as I said, we like the house. The train doesn't bother us too much because where we live now, we literally front the 10 freeway. This will be quiet compared to our current situation.

The alarm system is a definite item on our to-do list. You never know when you can get robbed, and that happens everywhere!

Sounds like you're from NY too. I would love to move back home, but work is out here. Broooklyn has definitely changed from when I was a kid there in the 70's and 80's. I grew up in lovely Bushwick...yeah right. That's why neighborhoods like this don't bother me much. I'm used to it.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

deesee 

Visitor
deesee

Thanks popo. I'll check that out.
Regular Visitor
losfelizlove

[ Edited ]

hey deesee,

yes we are here 2 years from NY..we love it, and just don't want the Brooklyn feeling anymore (no offesnse!!)  I'm sure it's the same house, because it's historically well preserved and a gorgeous living room!  It was a hard decision, and still a bit sad about giving up the actual house..I am still waiting for my deposit to come back ...)  If it is the exact house, it's in pretty good shape considering how old it is..that also made it hard, because the inspections weren't as bad as I thought they would be..growing up in Brooklyn, you'll be totally fine over there.  But you must promise to take care of those 2 kittens that roam the block freely ( a black one and a cream one-..! )  the kittens came over to visit every time we were there!

Message Edited by losfelizlove on 09-21-2009 12:10 PM
Visitor
deesee

It's funny you should mention the cats. They followed us around too. At one point, we had left the front door of the house open and the black cat decided to take a nap in the living room. We hated waking him up, but we had to go. We're definitely adopting them if everything works out. 
Regular Visitor
losfelizlove

[ Edited ]
Message Edited by losfelizlove on 09-21-2009 12:37 PM
Contributor
SomeDudeLA

There are a lot of really beautiful houses in the area that people sadly let go to waste. Driving around there I've had similar dreams of fixing up one of those homes because they have so much character.

But let me be honest. The neighborhood is not too safe. It's crime and gang ridden. Btw, some people say the Hispanic gangs are targeting blacks, so depending on your race it can even more dangerous for you. Walking around at night is dangerous (even though you could find some good food within walking distance).

There are some pioneers that have attempted to take back this neighborhood (by doing what you plan to do) and will make good neighbors but from the looks of it they are in the minority.

I would suggest trying driving through at night. If you feel safe enough get of your car and walk. If you don't feel safe doing that, then you'll know you can't live there. I know I don't feel too safe there at night (and I do go every once in a while).

The safe parts that I have seen border Pasadena and South Pasadena btw.

Contributor
Zaphoid

I work in the criminal defense industry and can tell you that Both Highland Park gang and Avenues gang do target African Americans (and each other) in the area. Drive by shootings are still comon. Normal people get killed going to the store. The schools suck. Neighbors often play loud banda music. It is becoming gentrified slowly. We left for the burbs and I will never go back. Some of the houses are cool but check out the work done on them, often done on the cheap. Incidently I'm from Queens and understand the neighborhood thing. You now have a choice, I suggest you think twice. If it is just you and you partner it is not so bad. I won't raise kids there. Good luck.