Visitor
cdawg

LOOKING TO BUY IN SOUTH SFV!!!

Thank you for looking at my post. I hope this is the proper area to post this, and you can help my family find our next home. Due to a new job relocation, we are looking to be located in the South San Fernando Valley, Hollywood Hills, Burbank area.

Important items:
4+ BR
Over 2000 square feet
Large lot with pool
Around the $600s

Desired items:
View
Good elementary school
3000+ square feet
Uniqueness (no cookie cutter)
South of Ventura Blvd.

We are looking in the cities of Woodland Hills, Tarzana, Encino, Sherman Oaks, Hollywood Hills, Toluca Lake, Studio City, Bel Air, Glendale, Burbank, Etc... A totally remodeled house would be great, but we are very open to a cosmetic fixer. As long as the structure is sound and it can appraise properly, we are in business.

Here's what we can offer you!

Home owner: By dealing direct with us, you eliminate the typical 6% that you pay in agent fees. For a $600,000 house, that's $36,000 in fees. I've bought and sold several houses and the process is very simple. The buyer and seller agree on a price and complete a standard purchase and sale agreement. The buyer deposits earnest money in a 3rd party escrow account to prove they are serious about buying. The buyer pays for a home inspection to make sure the property is sound. Once the inspection is complete, the title company does all the heavy lifting. They do all the investigating of any liens on the property and prepare documents to be signed stating that the house can legally be sold and will file all the paperwork with the county. They also make sure that ALL payment is received before any transfer of title is completed. Once the transaction is funded, the buyer gets the funds. Pretty simple.

Real estate agents: You know the range and other information about what we are looking for. If you know of any pre-listing properties for sale we would love to talk. We use Redfin to conduct our home searches, so if it is listed we already know about it. We are hoping to find that gem that nobody has realized yet, and dust it off to make it shine.

Banks / investors: Reduce your debt burden by unloading one of your foreclosed or auctioned properties. Don't go through the hassle of the whole listing process. If you have a good property at a fair price, let's talk!

This is no scam or some ploy to get any personal information from you. This is just another way for my family to find our next home. You may have heard that housing is on the rebound which is great, but there will soon be a significant amount of properties for sale which may increase supply and drive prices lower. We are trying to find that gem and get ahead of the game.

Thank you again for reading this and I hope we can do business!

Regular Contributor
DHEAT

Re: LOOKING TO BUY IN SOUTH SFV!!!

Are you moving to LA from out of state? Each area you mentioned is a different community. I suggest visiting each area to get a better feel, especially if you are going to buy a home. Also, commute times play a large role in LA, so you may want to take that into consideration. 

In Studio City, Sherman Oaks (south off the 101), Toluca Lake areas you may get a 2-3 bedroom house for $600,000. Burbank gets you a little more square feet, as well as areas west of the 405 and north of the 101. Pretty much nothing is available in Bel Air or the Hollywood Hills for $600,000.

If you have children then you will want to look at school options. Schools tend to vary greatly and houses in the great school districts can cost more.

best of luck!

Redfin Partner Agent
Adam-la

Might want to put your name and perhaps your contact information if you expect people to contact you.  

What is wrong with the current houses on the market in your price range? 

Trusted Contributor
mnsweeps

After living 12 years in Burbank / Toluca Lake neighborhood ( near Bob's Big Boy) , I moved to Stevenson Ranch (SCV) for a bigger , newer home with an excellent school district. SCV is much better for family life than SFV area. You will definately get homes in 600,000s in Burbank but will be smaller and much older (1920 thru 1950s) ..I think its way too overpriced. I do not regret a single bit moving to Stevenson Ranch. My commute went up from 10 minutes to 30 minutes but thats was a sacrifice which I was ready to make for all the pros SCV offered. 

Visitor
cdawg

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the replies. They are very helpful as my wife and I are making decisions. I'll try to answer the questions and provide more insight...

We are in state right now. We currently live in Orange county. Nice down here, but more opportunity for my line of work in LA. We have visited the areas I mentioned and think they all have something to offer. We aren't too picky about some things, but sticklers on others... There are some good houses in our range right now, but looking at previous sales over the last 12 months, there have been some great properties sold within our range. Hopefully we can get one of those great properties.

I know the valley can get HOT in the summer. Are there any areas that you won't bake in? Are the hills better or in the basin of the valley?

Thanks all for the help and any assistance you can provide!

c

Redfin Partner Agent
Adam-la

[ Edited ]

Good luck.  

You might want to include some examples of the properties that sold recently that you consider excellent in terms of style, size, location or pricing.   As it is, your list of wants is pretty wide open and from a quick read, I don't think it is clear what you really want. For example:

- good elementary school.  Are you judging based on test scores, walkability, beauty of the campus, type of kids, etc

- no cookie cutter.  I grew up thinking the valley was one big cookie cutter.   Do you mean you don't want to live in a ranch style house or something else?

- Large lot.   Put some type of minimum.   Does a 10,000 square foot lot = big?

I'd also suggest eliminating the REO section of your website.   A bank will never sell to you directly in today's market locally.   They are generally required to put the property on the open market and obtain the market price.  

If you do work directly with an owner, make sure you either hire a local real estate agent or attorney to ensure that all the proper disclosure paperwork is completed.   Escrow companies will not be party to your agreement and generally do not provide the required state disclosures.  

Silver Contributor
basschick

there were lots of places that sold at prices i liked all over l.a.  unfortunately the areas we'd like to live have gone up quite a bit since last summer, so take those prices in places that closed with a grain of salt - we haven't seen any decent places going for the prices we were seeing before september. 

Silver Contributor
john72

[ Edited ]

At the moment, I do not believe you can find a home with all your minimal requirements. The only areas I know where you will find homes like that will not have good schools at all...Parts of Winnetka, Chatsworth, and Van Nuys/Valley Glenn.

Is your work directly in SFV or is it more DTLA? If its in the SFV maybe you want to look at Woodland Hills, Simi Valley, or Valencia/Santa Clarita. I'd suggest La Cresenta too, but I think thats out of your price range.

If you work is DTLA or say K-Town, you might want to look at Lakewood/Long Beach south of Lakewood Bl and look into using the Blue Line and possibly the Red Line as a commute.