Silver Regular Contributor
JG1

LA DWP Certificate of Compliance Low Flow Toilets/Showers

So I think this policy is a joke - you should be able to have whatever toilets and showerheads you can afford and want - but it seems this form that's required to be filed with the DWP is treated as a joke, as well.  I don't see any sellers installing low flow toilets or showerheads prior to close of escrow?

What have your experiences been with this form and process?

Platinum Regular Contributor
STARCHY

Re: LA DWP Certificate of Compliance Low Flow Toilets/Showers

buy a house in LA and watch it happen. the City comes out to inspect post closing. after that you can change them out if you want to waste water

JG1

Interesting.  I've toured a lot of houses for sale, and I rarely see anything changed out.  So when does this happen in the typical transaction?

PS - It's not a matter of "wasting" water, it's a matter of having enough flow to get the job at hand done.

Super Contributor
inspector_guy

Retrofitting must occur before the close of escrow. The latest generation of toilets and showerheads perform very well. I believe Toto has the largest ballpass and flow rate for a toilet. BTW you must have a low flow showerhead, but there is no law/ordinance that limits how many showerheads you can install in a shower. Funny, but true.

STARCHY

JG1 wrote:

Interesting.  I've toured a lot of houses for sale, and I rarely see anything changed out.  So when does this happen in the typical transaction?

PS - It's not a matter of "wasting" water, it's a matter of having enough flow to get the job at hand done.

if you are not using low flo toilets you ARE wasting water - a LOT of water.... and it aint cheap.

here is a cool product/system for water conservation I just heard about:

http://www.freeflowater.com/

JG1

Thanks, Starchy.   I am just thinking of these toilets in Europe, where you end up having to flush two or three times to get the job done (or take a longer shower because of not enough water pressure/flow) - by the time that happens, are you really saving any water?

Perhaps I am behind on the low-flow technology and need to get up to speed.

But I still don't see these toilets being changed out prior to sale (why wait until right at the end of escrow to do it?).  What year would a toilet or shower head have to have been installed to be a safe bet to already be low flow?  (which might explain why some don't need changing out).

STARCHY

[ Edited ]

most/many of the lo flo toilets can be cheap - they meet the requirement but they can be all plastic parts. Our house had three new cheap ones and they all work fine. after one of ours cracked we bought a Toto Drake for under $250 (?) and it works fine.

but I'm with you on the shower - I'll pay the bill for that for sure and just put the lo flo back on when/if I sell.

Super Contributor
UhOh

Wasn't there a time when the City offered low-flow type toilets for the asking?

Silver Contributor
DrivingSideways

I think low-flow toilets are a joke - if you end up flushing several times to wash away waste, how are you saving water?  Going from 3.5L to 1.6L is a huge reduction - maybe 2.5L I could get on board with.  And have we saved any water?  Seems like my water bills keep going up.  Funny, I was doing some research on fixing my toilet yesterday and came across this article which tells you how to make your low-flow toilet release more water by moving the floater down the chain:

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/bath/fixt_repair/toilet/flush_valve/flapper.htm

STARCHY

well they certainly save water on the uhm, lighter loads...

water is not going to get any cheaper thats for sure (?)