Contributor
jalehofcolorado

Do I need a permit if I'm not removing any walls?

Hi, I have a three unit building. One of the tenants moved out and I want to remodel the apartment: New wood floors, replace appliances, paint, redo kitchen and bathroom counters, replace the bathtub with a shower. Stuff like that. Do I need a permit to get these things done. A neighbor who had remodeled their apartment (similar to ours) said I don't need a permit if I am not adding or removing a wall, is that true?

I am remodeling this to have a family member move in, not rent out for more. Also, do I need a licenced contractor to do this?

Thanks.

Contributor
BillR

Re: Do I need a permit if I'm not removing any walls?

Most likely.  Contact your city hall.

Redfin Partner Agent
PhilipC

any work over $500.00 require a permits.
Philip Chang | Redfin Partner Agent
See all my deals & reviews
Contributor
jalehofcolorado

Actually I just went on their website. You don't need a permit for many things and it doesn't say anything about the $500.

You don't need a permit to install a cooking range, clothes dryer.

http://ladbs.org/LADBSWeb/faq.jsf

Super Contributor
inspector_guy

Yes. A permit is required for most of the work you described. This "moving a wall" nonsense is a myth handed down through generations. A remodeled bathroom is subject to new/newer codes like an exhaust fan is necessary (even if there is a window). GFCI protected and tamper-resistant outlets are required as is an occupancy sensor. A shower drain must be a larger diameter than the old tub drain. A licensed contractor is recommended, but not required - so long as you do code-compliant work. A handyman cannot do more than $500.00 (including material).

Silver Trusted Contributor
HarryV

Anything over $500 requires a LICENSE. Almost everything requires a permit except interior paint jobs.

Redfin Partner Agent
Adam-la

If you are painting in a multi-family property in Los Angeles you need to be aware of the EPA rules.

http://www.epa.gov/lead/rrp/consumers.html

Gold Regular Contributor
sheriff

jalehofcolorado wrote:

Hi, I have a three unit building. One of the tenants moved out and I want to remodel the apartment: New wood floors, replace appliances, paint, redo kitchen and bathroom counters, replace the bathtub with a shower. Stuff like that. Do I need a permit to get these things done. A neighbor who had remodeled their apartment (similar to ours) said I don't need a permit if I am not adding or removing a wall, is that true?

I am remodeling this to have a family member move in, not rent out for more. Also, do I need a licenced contractor to do this?

Thanks.

The question is do you have the expertise to do this?  You will save a ton of money if you do.  Painting, installing wood floors and countertops are easy.  For the countertops, you can buy a slab and get the holes professional done then install it yourself. Many countertops have to be supported with plywood before you install them.   Measure 3 times before you have them cut it.  There are videos on youtube that will show you how to do floors.

The hardest thing you mention would be replacing the bathtub with a shower.  I am going to think long and hard about that one.  I have done all the previous things you mentioned while fixing up my place but I might leave that one to a professional.

Contributor
jalehofcolorado

Hi,

Do you have a link to the City's website regarding what you wrote? Thanks.

Contributor
jalehofcolorado

Hi

Do you have a link to the City's website regarding what you are stating? I can't find anything. Thanks.