Regular Visitor
englishmaninLA

Crenshaw Manor

My wife and I are seriously looking at a house in Crenshaw Manor, within a very short walk of the Expo Line.

The proximity is a big motivation as I would be using the metro daily. Disregarding price for the moment, should I be worrying about crime walking to and from the station?

I would be wearing office clothes and am from the UK, white and redhead (FWIW), so am worried about standing out and being targeted. Anyone seen any spikes in stats to suggest the expo line has resulted in increased street crime?

Finally, its probably too soon to see comps, but the asking prices definitely seem to have increased since the expo line opened. I would expect to see a similar rise when the line opens to Santa Monica.

Any general thoughts/comments on the area would be great!

Silver Regular Contributor
WheelinDealin

Re: Crenshaw Manor

[ Edited ]

I would suggest trying to find a place North of the 10 freeway or more West on the other side of La Brea towards Culver City. The area you mention around Crenshaw and the Expo Line is not so good. Lot's of crime and lots of traffic. Definitely not a place you would want to be after sun-down. I'm not sure if the Expo line helped it or made it worse. I have lived in LA for over 20 years, and yes a lot of these neglected areas are improving, but they have a LONG ways to go. It boils down to where you feel you would be comfortable living vs. price paid.

As far as living near the Expo line. It's a mixed bag. Yes, you have a easier commute, but you also have all the vagrants and homeless from downtown stopping by on their way to Santa Monica to panhandle. I think living near the Expo will only increase the amount of crime and homeless people, that's why Santa Monica and Culver City fought it for so long.

I'm not sure prices increased specifically because of the Expo Line. The whole LA market has increased since the time the Expo Line opened. In fact from what I understand, properties within direct vicinity of the Expo Line have gone down dramatically because of it. Who wants to hear and see a train all day while your at home relaxing?

Gold Contributor
mediaguru

I do not live in LA so am not super familiar with all the neighborhoods, but every time I hear "Crenshaw", this is what comes to mind:

Some of these crowds that Slim draws

Is rowdy as Crenshaw Boulevard when it's packed and full of cars

Some of these crowds me and Snoop draw is **** from Crenshaw

From Long Beach to South Central -- Dr. Dre, lyrics from an Eminem song

That right there would be enough for me to avoid any address saying "Crenshaw" in it.

Redfin Partner Agent
Adam-la

englishmaninLA wrote:

Finally, its probably too soon to see comps, but the asking prices definitely seem to have increased since the expo line opened. I would expect to see a similar rise when the line opens to Santa Monica.

Any general thoughts/comments on the area would be great!

I won't go into the safety elements because everyone has their own level of comfort with certain situations.  

On the economic side, you have the experience of coming from England and if you look at the example of neighborhoods in London, the value of properties near train stations is significantly higher that in surrounding neighborhoods.   Unfortunately, a number of the stations along the exiting train lines and on the Expo line are almost designed to NOT be attractive parts of the community and are set aside from normal paths of walking and use.   In addition, we are always going to be a car-centric region even when all the measure R funds are spent and we have more trains online that any time since ww2.  

From my experience investing along the Gold line corridor, I would not bank on the City of Los Angeles making any intellegent planning moves around the stations.   Smaller towns seem to have a better idea of how to handle this like what you see in South Pasadena, Pasadena, the terminus of the Blue line in Long Beach.  The stop in Boyle Heights at Mariachi plaza has some hope but the rest of them often feel like islands in a concrete desert.    Get off at the King Taco station from the Gold Line named for a distant group (maravilla) and you'll wonder why they built a station there other than to get decent tacos for the MTA employees downtown!

Property values along the Expo line have increased and partly there is an influence of the train and expected interconnections with the coastal cities and downtown.  In addition, just like everywhere else, strong demand is driving prices up.    It 'should' work out long term that areas near the stations that connect to the most jobs will benefit but the historic poverty along the Expo corridor is truly a depressing part of our current city planning.  

My suggestion: Spend a solid day taking the train, getting off at every station, walking around (or better yet, use a bike), getting a sense of the housing stock.  My guess is that the place most likely to see the market rediscovering will be near the Crenshaw station.   Despite the  rap quotes from the poster above, there are a number of really nice homes in the area walking distance to that station that the middle class can afford.  

For example this recent flip:

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Los-Angeles/3631-Virginia-Rd-90016/home/6889295

(note how fast it sold in October 2012 and for under $300k)

Contributor
LAEVE

Actually, the area has many middle income long term residents, with a significant population of older Asians.

In June 2010, I represented a buyer for a house two blocks south of the Expo. The house is on Victoria Avenue, so it's one street west of Crenshaw. My buyer is a Microsoft tech guy and is Asian.

His neighbor on the north side is an Asian lady who has lived there for 40 years. There's an HIspanic family with school aged children across the street. An African American couple several houses to the north purchased in the late 1980s.

The neighborhood is quite diverse. While there are homeless people, they tend to stay on the major streets.

There is a very active neighborhood group that  meets regularly to address various things. They also have block parties regularly.

Property crimes are an issue. My client's house was robbed around a year after he moved in but that could happen anywhere.

He moved there from the Westside and likes his house and the neighborhood.

The Crenshaw area is less dicey than the neighborhoods just north and south of I-10. 

I'd advise going there late in the afternoon when many of the residents are out walking. My client met several of the neighbors that way before he purchased his house.

Good luck.  

Contributor
kywill

There is quite a range of home prices in Crenshaw Manor, a lot of them look quite nice as does the area by and large.  You should go there and walk it and meet people and go to open houses and get some familiarity.  The name comes from the Eighth District Empowerment Congress's "Naming Neighborhoods Project" and I've included a link:
http://www.amoeba.com/blog/2011/11/eric-s-blog/let-s-show-these-fools-how-we-do-this-on-that-westsid....  Good luck!  

Silver Regular Contributor
WheelinDealin

[ Edited ]

Visit the neighborhood on a Friday or Saturday night, then you'll get a REAL feel for the neighborhood. I have actually spent time in this area, and even looked at some homes there. I admit that there are some beautiful craftsmen homes with great architecture at affordable prices, but the negatives outweigh the positives. This area is VERY urban. You have liquor stores and storefront churches on every block, then there is the graffiti, crime, & homeless people. I don't see the point of buying a home if you have to turn it into a compound to keep the surrounding elements out. Better off looking in Windsor Hills or View Park. The further West from Crenshaw the better.

I like the guy above who says this neighborhood is quite diverse. In reality it is over 90% African American. Look it up. 90% of any one thing does not equal diversity in my book.

Also, Crenshaw is probably the most notorious street in Los Angeles. It's not mentioned in numerous gangsta rap songs because of it's great shopping & fine dining.

I'm not saying you can't buy a home there and have a wonderful life, but just know what you are getting into.

Silver Trusted Contributor
GEAH

mediaguru wrote:

I do not live in LA so am not super familiar with all the neighborhoods, but every time I hear "Crenshaw", this is what comes to mind:

Some of these crowds that Slim draws

Is rowdy as Crenshaw Boulevard when it's packed and full of cars

Some of these crowds me and Snoop draw is **** from Crenshaw

From Long Beach to South Central -- Dr. Dre, lyrics from an Eminem song

That right there would be enough for me to avoid any address saying "Crenshaw" in it.

Crenshaw down in PV is not bad.

Super Contributor
newatthis

google "la times crime map" and find the location you are thinking of living in. They will show you all crimes in the area going back a few years. You can look at it by day, week, month etc. It should give you a pretty good idea of what is happening.

Contributor
REINVESTOR

checkout www.crimemapping.com I grew up in the area. The Element does exist. I noticed increased law enforcement presence 

around the Expo Line. The ethnic demographic is gradually changing at a snail's pace even north of the Expo Line where prices are more affordable. Criminals look for easy targets,so try riding a bike to the stop or befriend someone that also walks to the stop and walk together, I would avoid residential streets,take the main streets as much as possible. Good Luck