Regular Contributor
Hockey_Puck

Cost of owning a pool?

I'm thinking of purchasing a property with an inground pool.  I'm curious to hear from other pool owners as to actual monthly expenses one can expect for chemicals, pool service, water and any other foresable expenses?  Also, any idea of what it costs to repair or replace a pool's pump or heater?  Finally, do you think owning a property with a pool makes the property more attractive or less attractive to future buyers?
ozz
Contributor
ozz

Re: Cost of owning a pool?

[ Edited ]

I won't be much help in the actual figures area, but my own commentary on pools is: I'd never buy one.  I'm sure plenty of future buyers might be excited about your pool, but there are going to be people like me who won't even consider buying a home with a pool.

On top of regular cleaning/chemical/heating maintenance costs, they can be a ginormous pain to clean after things like the Santa Anas. Considering the winds usually happen several times a year, this is not really a negligible hassle if you live in an area that tends to get them with any significance. Imagine having to fish your BBQ out of your pool :smileytongue: 

And, of course, you have to stay on top of cleaning your pool diligantly year-round even if you don’t plan to use it for awhile, as the sitting water can be a hazard for mosquitoes and the like.

You also need to consider that Homeowner's policies are usually more expensive if you own a pool, and if it doesn't come with a childproof locking gate, it can be costly to put one in (I am not entirely positive on this, but I think it might be state law to have one now, even if you do not have children... but at the least, your policy might require it).

It also eats up a significant portion of yard space in most modern homes that sit on small lots. If you want a tool shed, or a place to garden, or a spot for children to play, it’s going to be very limited.

My own advice – and this is 100% personal and subjective – don’t buy a house with a pool unless you reallyreally love the house and genuinely will use the pool regularly. If you’re feeling “meh” about the pool, you’ll probably grow to see it as a burden. Even in sunny, warm California, I know I’d never get my effort and money’s worth out of pool ownership, even though it can be refreshing in summer and good exercise year round.

Anyway, I’m not sure that’s very helpful to you since it sounds like you want actual hard data and figures, but at the least, those are some things to consider. 

Message Edited by ozz on 10-27-2008 04:57 PM
Probably edited because I am an obsessive proofreader and found approximately 298734 errors after posting.
Regular Contributor
Hockey_Puck

Thanks for the insight Ozz.  It's definitely food for thought, however I'd still be interested in hearing from those pool owners out there regarding some of the points that Ozz addressed.
Silver Trusted Contributor
HarryV

I don't own a pool but I rent an apt with a pool right in front. Even though I thought I would be taking advantage of it when I moved in, I only found myself in it once every two / three weeks. I have friends who own a pool and absolutely love it. They host parties and their kids bring over friends to swim and have a blast. Keep in mind their kids are all old enough to know how to swim. I would probably also avoid getting a house with a pool as I am about to have a baby. It would be any parents nightmare to find their child drown in their own backyard.
Regular Contributor
Hockey_Puck

How horrible, Harry!  Nobody wants to find a dead baby floating in the pool.  What a nightmare!!!  Makes you want to cement the pool over...
Contributor
Hankinla

[ Edited ]

People usually have a strong opinion for or against a pool; I am one of those rare in-between people. I had a pool growing up and I had an in-ground pool installed when we first moved in our last house. I knew we were going to be there a long time and I love to swim. My parents had outdated crappy equipment in our house as a kid and the pool was a big chore, my dad hated it. The balance was always wrong and algae was a constant problem.

In our house I had really nice, but not too expensive equipment which made it much easier. My pool requires only occasional checking; the chlorine in the automatic chlorinator lasts about a month. Overall it wasn’t a big pain. A great filtration system, pump, automatic chlorinator, and vacuum robot are a must. If you buy a house with an older pool consider replacing these parts with updated equipment and equipment rated for a bigger pool than you have. The costs aren’t that much and it saves a ton of time. $2000 can save you hours of work a week. Also preventative work saves a ton of time. If a pool starts to get out of hand fix it right away.

A Few Notes:
The electricity usage and water usage didn’t cost that much extra. I ran the filter about half the day.

I didn’t use the pool as much as I thought I would (we don’t have any kids to enjoy it either). In the end I was swimming only 2 times a week. It did make for fun parties and holidays though.

I wouldn’t install a pool again and it’s not a must but wouldn’t rule out a house with one. I don’t think I would use it enough, but if two houses were for sale for the same price I would take the one with the pool. If the one without the pool was $5000 cheaper I would take the cheaper one. 

Some people say it’s a detriment on resale, but the pool is the only reason our house sold. There were 6 houses for sale in our neighborhood. The houses are all abut the same age and only 4 different designs so they are very comparable. Mine was the most expensive by a small amount. We had 2 firm offers after our second open house. Months after ours sold the other 5 are still for sale. The pool created a lot of ooohs and ahhhs during open houses. Sure, some people commented they didn’t want a pool, though but it is telling that they didn’t buy any other house in the neighborhood even though there is a cheaper one of the same floor plan with no pool.

Overall a pool isn’t the oasis most people think it is, but it’s not an albatross around the neck either.

Message Edited by Hankinla on 10-28-2008 12:26 PM
Regular Contributor
Hockey_Puck

Excellent insight, Hankinla!  I appreciate your honesty with regard to actual use vs. intended use.  I had no idea that upgrading the pool equipment could make such a difference!  I agree with that a pool is not an oasis for everyone, but it sure is nice to have that option.
Contributor
Peanut77

I spend $80.00 a month for weekly pool service. My pool has an attached spa and two waterfalls, so it requires a bit of cleaning (and the birds like to poop in the waterfall seating area, too). That includes chemicals and everything. I pay $40.00 extra per year for a treatment I forgot the name of. I've noticed no difference in my water bill except $9.00 compared to my previous pool-less home and I have added water to it about 10 times now due to some steamy days. I use the hottub on weekends (gas heat) and haven't noticed anything alarming on the bills.

My equipment could use updating, so if I wanted to have a winter pool party it would cost roughly $200.00 to heat it. If you're looking at homes with pools, try and fancy the ones with solar heating! I'm going to try out those solar discs and see how things turn out. 

Regular Contributor
Hockey_Puck

Peanut, thanks for sharing your monthly pool expenses.  Solar discs sound interesting, I wonder what that would run?  Also, I wonder if anyone out there has tried using a solar cover for their pool and if so, how did that work out for you?
Contributor
Hankinla

A solar cover can add (or keep) 5-10 degrees of heat in a pool but can be a pain to deal with. Putting on and taking off can be a hassle. If you dont mind that they are worth it. Consider one that is self rolling for extra ease of use. Gas heat is way too expensive for my mere mortal salary, consider a heat pump or solar if you want a heated pool.