Contributor
NinaSG

Cost of building a new garage with living spaces above.

Hi all,

We currently have an old run-down 2-car detached garage, and would like to eventually tear it down and build a new garage (in the same space) with a studio that has a kitchennette and a bathroom above it.  The garage currently has no plumbing hookup.

We are not looking for expensive high end finishes, just some extra room to move around in.

Some of our questions are: 

1. How much does something like this usually cost?  

2. What is the process like?

3. Do we need to hire an architect to create the plans then take it to the city ourselves for permits? Or will architects handle that? Or are there standard plans somewhere online for sale?

3. Can we just have 1 general contractor and they sub out plumbing/electrical work? or are we responsible for finding all contractors invovled?

4. How long can something like this take?

5. After this is completed, will we be required to re-appraise our house and pay property tax at a higher rate?

6. Our plan is to save up for this, but if we take out a loan for this project, will it have to be a construction loan? If so, is that usually a higher rate?

7. Should we consider taking out HELOC? (I hope I won't be attacked for asking about HELOC, we simply want to know all of our optinos).

Thanks so much for any help at all.

- Nina

Platinum Regular Contributor
STARCHY

Re: Cost of building a new garage with living spaces above.

NinaSG wrote:

Hi all,

We currently have an old run-down 2-car detached garage, and would like to eventually tear it down and build a new garage (in the same space) with a studio that has a kitchennette and a bathroom above it.  The garage currently has no plumbing hookup.

We are not looking for expensive high end finishes, just some extra room to move around in.

Some of our questions are: 

1. How much does something like this usually cost?  

2. What is the process like?

3. Do we need to hire an architect to create the plans then take it to the city ourselves for permits? Or will architects handle that? Or are there standard plans somewhere online for sale?

3. Can we just have 1 general contractor and they sub out plumbing/electrical work? or are we responsible for finding all contractors invovled?

4. How long can something like this take?

5. After this is completed, will we be required to re-appraise our house and pay property tax at a higher rate?

6. Our plan is to save up for this, but if we take out a loan for this project, will it have to be a construction loan? If so, is that usually a higher rate?

7. Should we consider taking out HELOC? (I hope I won't be attacked for asking about HELOC, we simply want to know all of our optinos).

Thanks so much for any help at all.

- Nina

1- IF you can build it (big IF) costs will depend on finishes
2- design/draw/bid/build
3(a)- you should let the architect or builder get the permit 
3(b)- either or, but since you are a rookie get a GC
4- depends on site conditions, construction methods,  and time to get permit.
5- property tax will increase because of the building permit
6- yes higher rate (than mortgage), and the lender will cut the checks
7- yes- check with your tax adviser about tax implications of HELOC v construction loan

Contributor
NinaSG

Thanks Starchy.

Why the big IF? is it the cost or the city that might be the prohibiting factor?

If it's the city, what would be the problem? height restriction? We have neighbors who have 2 story homes/additions.

I understand that finishes will change prices, but does anyone have any ballpark figures? 50k? 100k?

We would like to have spanish tile roof, 1 big dual pane floor to celing window.  The size is basically the standard 2-car garage size. I don't care about the counter tops in the kitchennette, as long as it's durable.

Thanks,

Nina

Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

Ask your neighbors about their experience in getting the addition done.  Building requirements change over time.  When in doubt I go to my local building department and ask lots of questions about process and time.

It could be quick or long depending on local practices and choosing your G.C.  A friend built over her garage with 2 bedrooms and a bath connecting to the main house.  Her G.C. did the plans and pulled the permits.   

STARCHY

NinaSG wrote:

Thanks Starchy.

Why the big IF? is it the cost or the city that might be the prohibiting factor?

If it's the city, what would be the problem? height restriction? We have neighbors who have 2 story homes/additions.

I understand that finishes will change prices, but does anyone have any ballpark figures? 50k? 100k?

We would like to have spanish tile roof, 1 big dual pane floor to celing window.  The size is basically the standard 2-car garage size. I don't care about the counter tops in the kitchennette, as long as it's durable.

Thanks,

Nina

additions are different than free standing buildings- especialy if the new building is an additional unit
the TRUE value of an Architect is that they tell you what can legally be built 

Super Contributor
hoping2buy

The kitchenette may be a problem because some cities prohibit them as a way of ensuring that this does not become a rental unit.  Of course, if the zoning permits a rental unit on the property or in the area, you should be okay.  In addition, if you tear down something like a garage and rebuild it, the new construction may have to meet the present setback requirements (say six feet from the property line or something) even if your old garage did not.  In older areas, what is presently on the property may not meet newer requirements.  The same goes for height restrictions; older structures may exist but building a new one may have to meet present code requirements. 
Regular Contributor
passadena

STARCHY, just curious why you say that one should let the architect or builder pull the permit, instead of doing it yourself. Is it so that you don't become a confusing middleman when the city comes back asking for corrections? Or is there some drawback to doing an "owner-builder" permit?

As for the true value of an architect, I've found that if you're willing to read your city's zoning code (usually online) and ask the planning department some questions, you'll probably know _more_ about the zoning rules than any random architect does... they work in lots of cities, and may not have had to deal with your particular city, or your particular overlay zone, before. Last time I tried doing a remodel, I ended up telling my architect (ok, really just a designer) what corrections to make before he tried to submit it to the city, b/c I knew he's have to do the corrections anyway.

I'll just throw $100sq.ft. out there as a number for the OP, so maybe $80k for a bare bones project on flat ground using the existing foundation, etc.... As other people have stated, though, it *totally* depends.

Regular Contributor
passadena

Oh, and the plumbing and spanish tile roof will add $.   Supposedly now is a good time to get deals though.
Regular Contributor
Trying2buynow09

I know of someone who tore down their old 2 car detached garage and built a 3 car garage with a 2/1 upstairs. They said price was around $200,000.

Hope this helps.

STARCHY

passadena wrote:
STARCHY, just curious why you say that one should let the architect or builder pull the permit, instead of doing it yourself. Is it so that you don't become a confusing middleman when the city comes back asking for corrections? Or is there some drawback to doing an "owner-builder" permit?

As for the true value of an architect, I've found that if you're willing to read your city's zoning code (usually online) and ask the planning department some questions, you'll probably know _more_ about the zoning rules than any random architect does... they work in lots of cities, and may not have had to deal with your particular city, or your particular overlay zone, before. Last time I tried doing a remodel, I ended up telling my architect (ok, really just a designer) what corrections to make before he tried to submit it to the city, b/c I knew he's have to do the corrections anyway.

I'll just throw $100sq.ft. out there as a number for the OP, so maybe $80k for a bare bones project on flat ground using the existing foundation, etc.... As other people have stated, though, it *totally* depends.

re: permit. exactly. the architect (or an engineer) needs to stamp the drawing anyway so why not get them involved early so there are no (ok fewer) surprises. as mentioned, architects tell you what you can legally build and they are on the hook for the really big mistakes- contractors and designers not so much. 
Also I would not count on using the old garage foundation for a new two story building. Much higher loads (live and dead) and who knows when/how the original garage was built- might just be a slab on grade without grade beams. Plus they are going to have to jack it up anyway to bring in the plumbing.