Contributor
stanwelks

Changing the official amount of square feet listed for my house?

I bought a house in Ventura County that had major renovations about 8-yrs ago and about 400 sq ft was added to the home, though it does not show up in the MLS or on my taxes. We have had the house measured twice showing the additional 400sq ft. This is not something I need done right now, just curious how to go about doing it.

1. How can I change official records to reflect the additional 400sq ft?

2. Will this increase my taxes?

Thanks.

Contributor
LAEVE

Re: Changing the official amount of square feet listed for my house?

Is it permitted? 

If you don't know, go to the building and safety offices at the city or county offices and see if there are finalized permits.

If there are, you should get copies and go to the assessor's office.

It might raise your taxes, although I'd argue that the price you paid reflected the additional square footage.

If it is not permitted, then you have to decide if you want to go to the hassle and expense of getting it permitted.

Silver Regular Contributor
WheelinDealin

[ Edited ]

Let sleeping dogs lie. If you start asking questions at the city offices, they may send out a inspector. If you don't have permits, they will cite you. And yes, if they add the sq. footage it will most likely raise your valuation and your property taxes.

There are many many homes in LA that have additional footage. Some permitted, some not. They are bought and sold this way. It's just the way it is.

Contributor
stanwelks

[ Edited ]

The previous owners told me that the additions were done with permits, though they never declared them because they did not want their taxes to increase. They spent a lot of money renovating the house with a well known contractor, though of course it is possible that the permits were never obtained.

If I want to take my chances with the possibility of my taxes increasing, is this what I need to do?

1. Check with the building and safety offices at the county office to verify the permits were given

2. take the permits and my two inspection reports showing the true sq footage assessor's office?

Thanks.

Trusted Contributor
DowntownVentura

stanwelks wrote:

The previous owners told me that the additions were done with permits, though they never declared them because they did not want their taxes to increase. They spent a lot of money renovating the house with a well known contractor, though of course it is possible that the permits were never obtained.

If I want to take my chances with the possibility of my taxes increasing, is this what I need to do?

1. Check with the building and safety offices at the county office to verify the permits were given

2. take the permits and my two inspection reports showing the true sq footage assessor's office?

Thanks.

Stan, it has been my experience in Ventura County that it gets reassessed at the time of the permits. Basically, the clerk at B&S asks how much value this improvement adds and the property is reassessed up by that amount. 

I have a feeling the sellers lied to you about getting permits if there was no reassessment. 

Contributor
stanwelks

s

1. What is B&S?

Thanks.

Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

B & S =  building and safety

B  & S handles permits. It could be local or county.  

Contributor
stanwelks

Any idea what the name of the form is to change the official sq ft for a home?

Thanks everyone.

Redfin Partner Agent
Adam-la

Here you are:

http://assessor.countyofventura.org/

Everything should be on that page for you.  The majority of your questions appear to be answered on this page:

http://assessor.countyofventura.org/other/faqs.asp?category=rr

Good luck!