Visitor
Melissa77

Buyers "Wanted" List? Thousand Oaks, CA

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there's a place where I can list a "Wanted" advert for a property?

I am working with an agent, but with few listings showing at the moment, I'm trying to explore other ways to find properties in the area I want to buy. (eg. sellers who have yet to list their properties, but are thinking of doing so)

I'm looking to purchase a 2 bed, 1.5+ bath townhome or condo in the Thousand Oaks, CA area - I'm pre-approved and can close quickly.  I love Tuolumne Oaks Townhomes - so if anyone knows anyone in there that wants to sell, send me a message!! :smileyhappy:

Any advise would be most helpful!

Best,

Melissa

Super Contributor
inspector_guy

Re: Buyers "Wanted" List? Thousand Oaks, CA

Hello Melissa,

There should be a lot of choices near the Oaks Mall. What about the condos near Lynn Road and Avenida de los Arboles? I am not a Realtor, but I know the area quite well.

What about something off Ventu Park?: http://www.redfin.com/CA/Thousand-Oaks/1175-Ramona-Dr-91320/home/4652314

What about the condos near CLU?: http://www.redfin.com/CA/Thousand-Oaks/135-Mcafee-Ct-91360/unit-92/home/4571818

Visitor
Melissa77

Hi there,

Thanks heaps for taking the time to reply to my post :smileyhappy:

Those are great properties, haven't seen them on my searches because I'm looking under $250k (so makes my search a bit harder!)

Best,

Melissa

New Visitor
Jeffrey89

Hi,

I sold my condo in Pasadena a few years back to someone who sent a letter to every owner in the complex (130 units).  I called since I was in the process of putting it on the market and sold it without a real estate broker.  Just a quick trip to the title company to get instructions as to what was necessary to get it done.  Turned out to be one of the easiest sales of my life. 

It may be worth a shot, and you might be able to split the difference in what someone would pay in commissions.  Since you already know which complex you like, that's half the battle.  You can get an estimate of values on Zillow or have a broker run a market analysis on recent sales (you might even pay them for the information since they won't get paid on the transaction).  And if you don't want to do the work in soliciting the owners, have your agent do it.

Good luck

Visitor
Melissa77

Hi Jeffrey,

Wow, that's a great idea! :smileyhappy:

Do you remember if the letter was professionally done, or if it was just like a 'normal' person saying "Hey, I'd like to buy in this neighborhood"  I'm already dealing with an agent, who's really awesome, so I think I'd have him handle everything and pay accordingly - but that's great.

And thanks for the good luck wishes - much appreciated

Best,

Melissa

Silver Trusted Contributor
NAR_SHILL

[ Edited ]

Perhaps I'm misreading this a bit, but why on earth would any potential buyer want to put their name and contact information out there into the ether via some sort of "property wanted" or "buyer's list"?  Sending a letter to all the residents of a certain complex you're interested in, as Jeffrey noted, would be great.  But I would be very careful where I put my information.

Worst case, You'll have every lousy stinking agent/realtor in the county calling you, not to mention the less scrupulous brokers, banks/lenders, inspectors, repair people, potential scammers etc.  Particularly in this economic environment.

Visitor
Melissa77

Hey Nar_Shill,

Thanks for your message!

Well, that was what I was asking, but not necessarily going to post all my contact details for the entire internet to see.  Moreso, I was wondering if there was a forum or board (eg. like this one), where I could post my 'wants' for a property, and then potential sellers would contact me via that forum or board, like we're doing here.

But I can understand what you're saying about putting my details just "out there" -- that would be mayhem!

I'm going to take Jeffrey's advice for sure :smileyhappy:

Best,

Melissa

Pasta

[ Edited ]

Melissa

I've had a lot of success contacting listing agents directly.  Some don't want to or can't bother with buyers, but I've had some send me their listings before they are listed to get me a heads up for when they do get listed.  They often will send emails to like minded buyers that want to get a jump on things....  a few listing agents told me directly "you'd have an unfair advantage if you put an offer in through my office...."

Contractor

Pasta wrote:

Melissa

I've had a lot of success contacting listing agents directly.  Some don't want to or can't bother with buyers, but I've had some send me their listings before they are listed to get me a heads up for when they do get listed.  They often will send emails to like minded buyers that want to get a jump on things....  a few listing agents told me directly "you'd have an unfair advantage if you put an offer in through my office...."

I have gone direct to the listing agent several times because they have an incentive to get both ends of the commission and make the sell.  There is very little reason to have a buyers agent unless the buyer is clueless, or you intend to give the buyers agent an easy commission in trade for him to give you a steep discount when selling one of your properties.