Visitor
Perplexed60

Trying to buy a home in Vegas

I have been trying to buy a home in Vegas since October 2012 for my parents.  I contacted an agent online (no contract signed), with a large national realtor chain and put an offer on a home for 125K (listed at 130K) in a 55+ community.  The offer was accepted, and the next day I was informed by the agent that the seller's agent acted wierd and declined the purchase!  I put an offer of 102K on another short sale where the bank wanted 105K.  My agent said that someone beat me to it that afternoon!  I put an offer on a home in Courts at Aliante for 85K (priced at 119K) and my agent said that was rejected since it was owned by an investment company and they don't care to bargain.  Most recent sale here in October for the same s.f. was 82K.  Now I am in the process of placing an offer on a home for 116K in Fort Apache Ranch, zip 89149.  The house is listed at 129,900.  An identical home in the same community sold on 11/19/2012 for 84K.  My agent says seller wants 120K.  My questions are: (1) How safe is this neighborhood?  My parents will be living here and I want them to be safe.  Also, they now are settling for a two storey since all the single storied homes my parents liked have been rejected.  (2) Can I fire my agent since I have not signed a contract?   (3) Will I be charged for her time (although most of the homes were those that I found on Redfin and informed her about).  (4) What are some safe neighborhoods where my parents can live with low HOA?  The highest purchase limit for my parents is 120K.   (5) How is the public transportation from safe neighborhoods to the strip, downtown, etc.?  Thank you for your time!

Visitor
jimshoe

Re: Trying to buy a home in Vegas

Join the club everyone thinks this market is so bad that cheap homes are everywhere just waiting to be snapped up easily by cash buyers. NOT SO!! I have been searching and offering and sending in escrow deposits for almost a year and there is allways a snag. I wish you luck !!! I have used several aqgents the same way you have and if they can't get it done for you, and you are without a contract just move on.

Visitor
Perplexed60

Thank you.  I guess I will have to switch realtors!

Gold Regular Contributor
sheriff

Perplexed60 wrote:

I have been trying to buy a home in Vegas since October 2012 for my parents.  I contacted an agent online (no contract signed), with a large national realtor chain and put an offer on a home for 125K (listed at 130K) in a 55+ community.  The offer was accepted, and the next day I was informed by the agent that the seller's agent acted wierd and declined the purchase!  I put an offer of 102K on another short sale where the bank wanted 105K.  My agent said that someone beat me to it that afternoon!  I put an offer on a home in Courts at Aliante for 85K (priced at 119K) and my agent said that was rejected since it was owned by an investment company and they don't care to bargain.  Most recent sale here in October for the same s.f. was 82K.  Now I am in the process of placing an offer on a home for 116K in Fort Apache Ranch, zip 89149.  The house is listed at 129,900.  An identical home in the same community sold on 11/19/2012 for 84K.  My agent says seller wants 120K.  My questions are: (1) How safe is this neighborhood?  My parents will be living here and I want them to be safe.  Also, they now are settling for a two storey since all the single storied homes my parents liked have been rejected.  (2) Can I fire my agent since I have not signed a contract?   (3) Will I be charged for her time (although most of the homes were those that I found on Redfin and informed her about).  (4) What are some safe neighborhoods where my parents can live with low HOA?  The highest purchase limit for my parents is 120K.   (5) How is the public transportation from safe neighborhoods to the strip, downtown, etc.?  Thank you for your time!

If your offer was accepted and declined the next day, that sounds strange.  You should have insisted on some kind of compensation from them if they changed their minds.

Silver Regular Contributor
Fishmarty

sheriff wrote:

If your offer was accepted and declined the next day, that sounds strange.  You should have insisted on some kind of compensation from them if they changed their minds.

Offer is accepted only when the seller sends back the contract buyer sumitted, with seller's signature on it. Maybe OP mean buyer agent told him 'accepted' but that doesn't count.

Visitor
hulagirl

Try buying a brand new home.  So much easier.

Silver Regular Contributor
Fishmarty

Except that nowadays most of the new houses are with HOA regulating this and don't do such such that, besides paying that fee.

hulagirl wrote:

Try buying a brand new home.  So much easier.

Visitor
Perplexed60

Thank you for your response.  I think I may have to do that.  How flexible are the builders?  What can I negotiate to include when purchasing a home?  A new home involves a lot of expenses such as window treatments, etc. 

Placed offers on several homes the past month that fell thru.  Lost a few that I wanted to put offers on because agent did not send me the offer docs on time.   

New Visitor
RealtorTheaB

Just wondering how your home buying needs are going for your parents??

Regular Visitor
new2NV

Find a buyers agent, give him/her all the specs you require including transportation needs for your parents. Sun City Aliante may have some properties that would fit their needs. I live in Aliante, (not Sun City) and find this area quite nice. The homes have increased in value 30K in 2 years for us, so finding something in your price range may be difficult, however with a buyesrs agent you should have better luck (I can give you the name of the guy we used, he was fantastic)