Silver Contributor
mamaguza

You can actually sell palm trees

Kind of a random topic, but over the weekend, I saw a post on craigslist for a guy who buys full grown palm trees from yards. I did a google search on it, because I thought it sounded interesting, since our new house has like 6 of them. Anyway, it turns out, palm trees are a hot commodity, or so they say, and depending on the type of palm trees, they can fetch anywhere from a few hundred to thousands each. Im not much of a palm tree enthusiast, so I thought that was pretty fun news. Just wanted to pass it on...
Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

Re: You can actually sell palm trees

Mama - A new moneymaking venture.  Sell palm trees and make them dig them out!  Palm trees use lots of water and I've never really like them nor understood why anyone would want to have such an expensive tree.
Silver Regular Contributor
MaVie

Mexican Fan Palms grow like weeds.  If you have those (the most common kind) no one wants to buy them.  I had about 9 that I paid to have destroyed because I couldn't get anyone to buy them.

Regular Contributor
Lostchild

Yeah!  My realtor actually told us about that.  One of the house we saw has a lot of tall palm trees along the wall in the backyard.   We mentioned that we don't really like palm trees, and he told us that they are worth some money.

At the house we are in escrow, the seller listed that they are taking a few of the palm trees with them when they move.

Silver Contributor
mamaguza

I sent a picture of all the palm trees on the property to the palm tree buyer from craigslist. Turns out, there is one rare one on the property that he said he would pay us between 500-1500 for it. He will let us know once he comes out and sees it. Pretty awesome if you ask me. That would pay for the wall I want to build. I could trade a palm tree for a wall. :smileywink:
Silver Regular Contributor
MaVie

That is great! 
Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

See how its all working out? :smileyhappy:   I'd suggest finding another palm tree buyer just to see if the value is correct. But thats me.  
Silver Contributor
mamaguza

I cant seem to find any other palm tree buyers. But the good news is, tonight we were watching the video we took of the new place, and we found 3 more palm trees like the one he wants to buy. We're sitting on a gold mine! Woo Hoo! Maybe the trees will pay for my hardwood floors? :smileyhappy: :smileywink:
Regular Contributor
Lostchild

You didn't give the guy your address yet have you?  If the house is still vacated, there is nothing to stop him from just coming out to dig out the tree.   A while ago, I remember seeing on the news that people are stealing palm trees planted along side of the a road in a city.   Palm trees, copper wiring, man hole covers, what else could they think of stealing next?
Silver Contributor
mamaguza

Totally. He wanted the address, but I told him I wouldnt give it to him until we move in.