Gold Trusted Contributor
Dag44

What are my options besides Time Warner Cable out here in Winchester?

My Time Warner bill is due to reset to $213.00 next month - I currently pay $160.00 per my 12-month deal. I did talk to Time Warner last week and I can sign up for new rates but only on a 2-year agreement and I'm not willing to do that since I know FIOS will be out here before 2 years (FIOS is not currently available in Winchester but they're working on it). Is my only other option out here satellite?

Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

Re: What are my options besides Time Warner Cable out here in Winchester?

FIOS may or may not be expanded.  The person who was the driving force behind FIOS retired and the scuttle at Verizon is that they are going to focus on the current serviced areas.  Who knows what will really happen.

I have had good luck with calling the customer retention department (all cable companies have them) and whining about the rate increase, how little my husband thinks of the service and how I hate to change.  Then I ask them what they can do to solve my problems.  You may have to go through the main line and they may quiz you on why you want to talk to customer retention (I say its something in the works, its private or anything that will stop them cold).

Satellite is an option.  Some friends prefer Dish over Direct and vice versa.  I think it depends on what you watch.  Satellite for internet is possible and not very practical for gaming or other interactive websites due to its lag time.  It slows down everything.  

Silver Super Contributor
Lizard

I would stay away from Satellite for internet. FIOS is just OK, not worth the extra money IMO.

There is basically a monopoly now between VZ and TW if you want internet. They both suck. Their "new" schtick is getting people under 2yr contracts, like mobile phone outfits. Once signed it's back ofthe line you go for service.

If only Google and MSFT could collaborate and put a fire under the monopoly .

Regular Contributor
Fortune

I urge you to avoid fios. I can go on and on for days about the trouble I had with fios over the time that I was a verizon customer. The most important issue I had with them was billing. They consistently added sevices to my bill that I was not utilising or asking for. Every bill after the first 6 months of service required me taking the time to call verizon and point out all the mistakes they had made to my bill, initialy I would get a person who would talk to me as if they were dilligently resolving my issues, I would open the next bill to find that the issue had not been properly resolved and onto that they had made many more errors to my billing. To me it was a headache and one that I handled for way longer than I should have. The one reason that I left time warner to go with verizon is that some of the classes I take are online and time warners service use to shut of periodacly for maintenance. This maintenace would happen at times that would be criticly detremental to my educational needs, like when I was taking exams or right before deadlines for papers to be submitted. As a med student I face tough academic competition and cannot allow for the slightest errors to undermine my performance in school, this is why I intialy switched service.

Eventualy I whent back to Time Warner and I have been happy with the transfer.I was able to negotiate a much cheaper rate than I have ever had without the need for a long term contract. I believe that I pay no more than 100 dollars a month for my service including the DVR and an extra box. I can ask the person who pays my bills tomorrow for an exact amountage paid and if you like call Time Warner and ask them what sort of plan I have, thus being able to arm you with knowledge to get a deal similar to mine. I get some movie channels with my deal, but these are really not important to me as I dont use them.

I can tell you more of my complaints with verizon, but you can more easily look up all the consumer complaints online.

Gold Trusted Contributor
Dag44

Thanks Fortune. Until now I had heard mostly positive things about FIOS. I just hate the way the world has become all about ripping you off instead of just providing a basic, reliable service for a reasonable price.

It looks like I have to stick with Time Warner - it doesn't seem I have a choice right now - so I'll have to put my negotiating hat on. Right now I have internet, phone with unlimited nationwide long distance, and obviously cable, which includes 3 digital boxes, a Showtime/HBO/Cinemax package for $22.99 a month, sports tier, and one other tier I think for $161.00. When I initially got my service with TW 11 months ago my bill was $157.00 but every couple months they seem to nickel and dime me for a little bit more.

Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

I personally know one other person who has FIOS and they love it as much as we do.  We've had it for nearly a year.  We don't have any of the movie packages but do have one of the highest speed internet packages.  

In general I've had problems with all the providers of tv, phone and internet.   I keep reminding myself that at least it isn't life and death.  

We've had good service with FIOS and we'll see what happens when we approach our one year anniversary date. I've heard smatterings of problems across the country with billing/customer service which might be the reason they are focusing on current customers.

We were the first on the block in 1994(approx) to get cable internet from Cox in San Diego County when they rebuild our area with fiber optics.  We had problems and Cox spent a lot of time working on the problems without resolving them. It was much faster than anyone else could provide at the time so we hung in there through the resolution.

We had Charter in the mountains and they always messed stuff up.  I stopped talking to anyone but customer retention about 6 years ago and the service was much better.  When a service call originated from the retention folks they sent their best people out

Dag, I have faith that you will be able to negotiate with them.  

Gold Regular Contributor
amydevemma

I have FIOS for the internet and have no issues whatsoever... DirecTV locked me into a 3 year deal when I moved, and I will be changing providers when that 3 years is up, probably to Dish Network, but I'll consider FIOS too.

Contributor
1sttimebuyer84

Have you tried AT&T U-Verse, you can get high speed internet like FIOS but also I LOVE their DVR system for cable, because you can record up to 4 shows at once, not lying, its really convenient when like I have shows I record, and then say my boyfriend sees some universe show on and he wants to record it, no prob!

Silver Regular Contributor
MaVie

[ Edited ]

I had DirecTV for at least 10 years and was very happy with the service.  Of course you can't use them for internet so I used DSLExtreme.  I have said this on this forum before.  I refuse to use Time Warner.

Gold Trusted Contributor
Dag44

So I've decided to go with DirecTV for satellite TV. They have the NFL Network/Sunday Ticket and that's all my husband has complained about for the last year - not having that. DirecTV has an add-on package for internet and phone but they use Verizon and there is no Verizon internet in my area, only phone. I called Time Warner to ask them how much it would be for just internet and phone and they told me a whopping $94.00 a month unless I committed to at least 2 years, in which case it would be $74.00 a month. I have to believe there are other cheaper options. I am not comfortable not having a land line despite the fact that we just got cell phones. I know a lot of people don't have land lines nowadays because of their cells but I'm just not ready to say goodbye to the landline. I'm going to check into some of the other suggestions on here for internet and phone. If anyone else has any other ideas please share.