Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

Re: What about North Fontana (Summit & 15fwy) Sierra Lakes area?

[ Edited ]

That referenced Connecticut, not California.

We checked with the DMV and CHP when our almost 18 year old got his license originally and they said during his probationary year he could drive his younger brother.  We didn't allow this until he demonstrated driving skill.  When the nieces and nephews got their license years ago and my kids were little I didn't let them drive the kids around for about 6 months.  Little kids scream and distract experienced drivers/ 

From the California DMV website  (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#FIRSTYEAR):

"When reasonable transportation is not available and it is necessary for you to drive, the law grants the following exceptions for minors to drive between 11 pm and 5 am or to transport an immediate family member unaccompanied and unsupervised."

Here's the link to AAA's info on california teen drivers:

http://www.aaa-calif.com/CORPINFO/GUIDES/TEENS.ASPX 

Message Edited by Nanomug on 10-13-2009 10:06 PM
Regular Contributor
RPVme

Nice!  Thanks for clearing that up.
Gold Regular Contributor
amydevemma

Oh my gosh, this thread got crazy overnight.

Nano and RPV: I'll definitely check into the laws before February... if my older one can't drive with her sister, then I'll think about transferring the little one to the local elementary school. 

To the other long time residents of Rancho Cucamonga: yes, I have heard that the crime rate has gone up in the last 10 years. But gang activity? Come on now, this isn't South Central. I've lived in South Central. 

I wonder if people really know what they mean by gang activity... if you're talking about a few teenagers congregating and tagging, OK, I can see that. But how many drive by shootings are happening on Baseline? Sheesh. 

And not being able to walk around Victoria Gardens at night? You can't be serious. 

As for crime being way worse in "Fontucky" I think you must be referring to the central Fontana or Southridge area (which I also checked into). Crime here in North Fontana is no worse than Rancho, and in fact was slightly BETTER than Upland! 

I refuse to live my life being afraid of my own shadow... and I most definitely am not going to be afraid of a few Mexicans at Ontario Mills either. 

Nanomug

I love Ontario Mills.  Haven't been in awhile and its time to start the holiday shopping....

Everybody has their own definition of gangs and bad areas.  In Blue Jay (San Bernardino Mountains) there are day workers that hang out in front of Rite Aid and Jensens.  When they started harassing women with cat calls the Sheriff put a stop to it.  To hear some talk women were practically getting raped in front of the stores.  Dealing with it was a pain, but I've encountered worse, a lot worse in "good" areas so I found the reactions of others interesting. 

It's amazing how the threads have such twists and turns.  

Is February the date for getting a permit or getting the license?  We were shocked at the cost of teen insurance even on the ancient truck he's insured on. 

Gold Regular Contributor
amydevemma

February is actually when I need to renew the district transfers to keep the kids in the Upland school district. That's also when my daughter will enroll in driver's training.
Nanomug

It is so nice and so scary when they can drive.  

I'm tend to hedge my bets.  Its usually much easier to renew transfers and do something different later (if needed).  We did the whole high school orientations/registration in the old district for our youngest just in case.   

Contributor
schwarzwald

Wow!  Scared to walk Victoria Gardens at night?  Gang activity at Ralphs?  Mexican mafia at the mills?  I had no idea Rancho was so dangerous.  Every time I go there I just see people jogging down the city built bike paths, enjoying the parks, or mowing the lawn.  Ima hafta watch my back son!
Visitor
James91730

My family has lived in Rancho for a number of years.

We have, unfortunately, watched the crime rate rise quite a bit.

This was widely discussed on talk radio a few months back.  

http://www.insidesocal.com/news247/2009/04/rancho-cucamonga-plagued-by-bu.html

James

Contributor
stugots

After living in Pasadena, San Dimas, Azusa, and Covina I recently bought a house in N. Fontana, right by Sierra Lakes and I feel perfectly safe and and no threat whatsoever..If anything I was pleasantly surprised by the area especially summit heights and hunters ridge, based on initial fontana expectations..but yeah I still have co- workers that say Fontana? why?   basically you just have to do your research and go with your gut feeling..I guess occasional riffraff when your out and about dosent really bother me as long as its not in my direct area...Its funny But ive been to the ralphs in rc on baseline, and the people that think thats a dangerous gang area are kind of clueless, in that regard...
Nanomug

I suspect the worst thing about N. Fontana is the reactions people have about Fontana.  :smileyhappy:   My OC/LA relatives can barely tolerate that we live in the IE.   They believe we've gone down in life in the last 10 years.   Our 909 area code drives them insane.  I that's funny.