Silver Regular Contributor
MaVie

Website that tells you all your neighbors names

I found an interesting website that will show you all the names of your neighbors.  http://blockshopper.com/  Wow.  Talk about a lot of information about your neighbors.  But the great thing is that when I have met them and can't remember what their names were, I can look it up here!

Gold Trusted Contributor
Dag44

Re: Website that tells you all your neighbors names

MaVie - I noticed this website a few weeks ago when I was looking something else up. I then put our address in and sure enough our names popped up.

Super Contributor
read_hbb

Creepy.  They cross reference public records with linked-in profiles to tell you who is buying and selling houses.  ie "Vice President of Sales moves into corona home"  with a link to the address, satellite pictures and their linked-in site (resume).  Again, creepy. 

MaVie

It is a marketing company that sells info about people.
Contributor
Severra

I emailed them when I found out that this info was so readily available, and asked them to be removed from the search engine.  I was told that they were just using public records, so there was nothing I could do about it. I told them that even though it was public record, it would be nice to make my students work a little harder to find me :smileysad:

MaVie

I heard on Clark Howard that there are a number of websites that compile and present this kind of information.  According to his show, they will remove your listing at your request.  Perhaps you could email him to ask how to approach them.  He may know the right thing to say to them.

Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

It's not available in San Bernardino County.  

I think they have to remove the information if requested.  Can you imagine being a police man and having your information easily available?  While it is public data not all is available on-line from the source.  

I know of someone who has access to data feeds at his work.  He sent me my new mountain neighbors mailing address without knowing who I was. He's on a mountain forum and has offered this service for posters who need info. That was a bit freaky once I thought about it. Likely not the use the data feeds were intended for.  

And, yes the information could be found at the the county offices.  However having to go to the county removes any voyeur aspect and spur of the moment violence.  It's a lot more effort to drive somewhere 9-5 during the week than look it up on-line.

Perhaps a call to the county to check and see if they can block the information on their end.

MaVie

The only reason San Berdo is not listed is because they haven't taken on that metro area yet.  But don't worry, they will add it eventually.

I didn't notice that as Severra was alarmed, you can just put in someone's name and it will tell you what property they own.

I do see an 'OptOut' option on their site:  http://www.blockshopper.com/faq.html#q4 :

In the spirit of fairness, we report public records as they are reported to us. We do not eliminate records on BlockShopper.com, as doing so compromises the integrity of our data.

We do make exceptions to this rule, for certain government officials, law enforcement and public safety workers( see more here ), individuals under court protection orders, or individuals with officially documented stalkers or other threats, for instance.

If you do fall into one of these categories, you can contact us in the following ways:

1. Email Scarlett Simpson ( scarlett@blockshopper.com ) detailing the nature of your situation for consideration.
  2. Fax us your information/request to 314-786-0519 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              314-786-0519      end_of_the_skype_highlighting. No cover sheet required.
  3. Via U.S. Mail to our St. Louis address above.

If you're an employee or in law enforcement, some proof of employment is required (emailing from your work email will suffice).

If you are under an order of protection or consider yourself under some other threat, please include some documentation (like a police report) in your email. If this isn't possible, please explain why. We're good listeners.

Expect to hear from us within 24-48 hours or sooner. We answer ALL emails on this subject promptly.

I see lots of complaints about them on the web so perhaps this is a new policy in response to concern from people.

Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

I suspect that they are negotiating the terms/fees to include San Berdoo.  Most cities charge for data feeds.

OPT out for certain categories of people seems reasonable. In reality unless the person finds the site or someone tells them that their information is available they don't know and can't opt out.  It's a slippery slope between privacy/safety and public knowledge.  

That they are taking various public data and combining it with mined data (linked in ....) is scary.  They could easily get it wrong so that John Doe, the pediatrician (or who owes money to the bad guys) is mixed up with John Doe, the pedophile (or DEA agent) creating problems.

Because of the ease of getting this information there are not safeguards in knowing who has the information.  

BTW I'm still trying to sort out my bottom line on this topic.  

Silver Super Contributor
Lizard

It's all public information so why do people get all paranoid?

Sure they can "remove" you but you can still be found very easily.

There's a mega mansion [not McMansion] about a mile from my home and I always wondered who owned it since I NEVER see anyone there other than an army of gardeners, movers, poolmen, caterers, etc. Lo and behold it's own by a billionaire heiress from Texas oil money. Who knew? Who cares? Curiosity satisfied.

So if a billionaire can be listed so can us common people.

Now if only I can stop the dozen or so telemarketing calls I get weekly despite being on the Do not call list I would love that!