Gold Trusted Contributor
Dag44

Restricted usage road definition please

I am researching directions to the Camp Pendleton base from the Temecula area and Google gives me a different route than Mapquest but in Google's directions they state to take Exit 51 toward Mission Rd/Fallbrook and then to turn right onto Co Hwy S13/Old Hwy 395 then first right onto E. Mission Rd then left onto N. Mission Rd. then right onto Ammunition Road - at which point the directions start referring to partial restricted usage road and restricted usage road. Does this mean these roads are actually affiliated with the base and can only be accessed by military personnel? He has tags on the car so if that's the case then he shouldn't have a problem but I just wanted to clarify the meaning of "restricted usage road."

Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

Re: Restricted usage road definition please

Ammunition road enters Camp Pendleton.  I can't remember if there is an official gate or not there.  I recall that Vandergrift goes to CP at two points.

Which part of the base are you looking to go to?  The shortest time to the main gate would be Highway 76 to I-5N to Camp Pendleton exit.  It's slow to go through the base.  Best gate will be based on where you want to go.

The military base roads are designated restricted usage.

Gold Trusted Contributor
Dag44

He is supposed to go through the main gate and then to the South Mesa Club.

Nanomug

I believe the South Mesa Club is near the main gate. He can try both routes: going entering CP in Fallbrook or going via 76 to I-5 to CP.  

I'm not a fan of going I-15 to 76 to I-5 because there tends to be delays going through the first portion of 76 due to trucks using that route and if I recall there are lots of twists to the road. They may have changed it since I last went that way.  My mom's house is near the main gate and we always went I-15 to Gopher Canyon (west) to Vista Way (right) to 76 (left) to I-5.

Will this be a new job location?

Gold Trusted Contributor
Dag44

Hi Nano - I agree with you about the 76. Last time I took that road it was quite congested and, yes, with lots of twists and turns. If you get stuck behind a slowpoke you're just stuck - no passing on that kind of road.

He is beginning a training program that will make him eligible for a promotion to a management position when one becomes available - if that makes sense.

Nanomug

Yes, that makes sense.  I wish him well and an easy drive to the main gate.  If he's going to be there for more than a few days it likely would be worth his while to try different routes.  

CALTRANS is always talking about alternate routes and told the mountain community to find as many routes out as possible in case of emergency.  It has become a comfort to know alternate routes.