Gold Trusted Contributor
Dag44

I think my carpet smells like urine. What do I do?

It figures - As each day goes by it seems like my carpet smells more and more like urine. I had it cleaned really well and had that pet odor enzyme put on it, etc., but my husband and I both smell what smells like urine to us. How do I figure out if the carpet is urine soaked?
Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

Re: I think my carpet smells like urine. What do I do?

Does it smell like urine everywhere or just in specific places?   I've had good luck with Oxyclean for this when the boys were getting potty trained eons ago.   Some people say Febreze works.  Sometimes getting it cleaned again by someone who knows how to deal with urine helps.  And sometimes  about the only thing you can do is get new carpet and padding.  Usually the padding is the culprit. 
Silver Regular Contributor
MaVie

Take a florescent light bulb and shine it on the carpet.  I picked one up at Wal Mart.  I am certain that it is going to horrify you.  

After I looked at my carpet under the lamp, I paid $700 to have one of those carpet cleaner companies really soak my carpet with the urine removal solution.  I didn't smell it anymore after they did that, but the florescent light still showed the stain.  So I didn’t know if I got ripped off or if it worked.  But the thing is, when you stop smelling it, you wonder if it is because the smell is gone or because you got used to the odor.  The safest thing to do is get new padding.  

My true opinion of carpet is that is can hide a plethora of unsightly sins.  My rule is, I never live in a house without a dishwasher, I never buy a used sofa and I never live on someone else’s carpet.  My vote is to remove and replace!

Silver Trusted Contributor
BocaMuse

Blacklight works to highlight pet urine and other organic matter.  And it will light up those velvet posters from the 70's with the tiger or whatever on them.

Nature's Miracle works great. Get the GALLON size from Target or Walmart or a PetCo/Smart/etc.  Find the source of the odor and soak it.  Put a fan nearby to help with drying.  

Is it one room?  Is it upstairs or down?  

cat's often pee in corners, so check each corner and carefully pull up the carpet to see what it looks like on the back side.  If the pee is in the corner, consider replacing a section of pad and treating the carpet with Nature's Miracle.  

If upstairs, it may have soaked into the plywood subfloor - but Nature's Miracle (or similar enzyme solution) should work.  

BocaMuse

I had two cats (down to one) and I had to completely recarpet my condo when I sold it.  I took the carpet out a few days before the crew came to install so I could treat the subfloors that smelled the worst.  After that, you couldn't tell there had ever been a cat in the place.

Silver Regular Contributor
Anteater

Other posters are correct that once the odor gets into the padding, you have to replace.  It doesn't matter how much you clean the carpet above.

Sometimes the smell also gets into furniture, drapes and even walls.  For walls, prime + paint should seal it in.

Gold Trusted Contributor
Dag44

I mostly smell it upstairs but I can't tell exactly where it's coming from - seems pretty strong though. I'm going to do everything you all suggested and try to find out exactly what I'm dealing with here. I was finally able to get into my mailbox yesterday (had to pay the post office $50.00 for a new key and lock) and in it was a ton of mail to a ton of other people. I was like, geez, how many people were living here before the bank took it back? There must have been mail addressed to 6 different people in there. So, obviously I started thinking about all these people and all their potential pets. I'm going to call Stanley Steemer back today and see what else they can do too and ask them why they didn't check with a black light for pet urine before they cleaned it (because they obviously just care about making money).
BocaMuse

Dag, I have a blacklight somewhere at my other place.  I'll check on it over the weekend to see if I can actually find it.

Gold Regular Contributor
amydevemma

I didn't smell any cat urine on my carpets when I bought my house... but there was so much cat hair everywhere that I started thinking about cat urine... it was enough to make me change the carpets.
Contributor
luvcoffee

we had that issue, cleaned the carpet and eventually changed the carpet..turned out it was in the drywall from cats peeing in the corner(this is speculation on my part)..so we ended up cutting out and replacing pieces of drywall behind the baseboards..a pain in the butt..