Visitor
koder

How to find out if i can build another house on my property?

I now live in the San Antonio Heights area of Upland, and have about 5 acres.  There's plenty of space for several more houses.  I dont want to build to sell.  My parents are becoming old and ill, we need them close by. I just need to build something simple like a two bedroom house (with living room and kitchen and laundry).  Also, its a horse property, but i never knew how many horses i'm allowed to keep (we never owned horses, so never bothered to check, but now i'm curious).  also someone told me i can run a light-industrial business right on my property, is this true?

in case you dont already know: san antonio heights is not incoporated, it is not governed by city of upland, but by san bernardino county.

My google-fu must be off lately as i can't find anything on this.

Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

Re: How to find out if i can build another house on my property?

San Bernardino County Building and Safety department should have the answers.  Unincorporated county areas can vary as to what is allowed or not allowed.  They would also be able to tell you the process of building a second home on your property and what the minimum lot size is in the event you want to split the property in the future and sell the homes separately.  

Visitor
koder

guess i'll have to call them, as i can't find this info on their website.

Platinum Super Contributor
Nanomug

If you go to your local office of B&S then you might get better information for your particular area.  They will have to look up the plot map to determine what applies to your lot.

Regular Visitor
honormemory

you might look into a prefab house, not sure which prefab house site my wife and i were looking at but they had one and two bedroom houses some with kitchens and some with out which would make it easier on any permits you may need. Just something to think about.