Gold Regular Contributor
amydevemma

Replacing sliding glass doors with French doors?

I've been pricing out French doors to replace my sliding glass door that lead to my backyard patio. I have to admit, the prices are all over the place. I don't have any experience with this. Home Depot and Lowes will run $1100 - $1400, while some other stores can be as little as $800 and as high as several thousand dollars! 

What should I be looking for in order to narrow my search? And how much should I expect to budget for installation costs? 

Thank you in advance. 

Silver Trusted Contributor
Rebeccah

Re: Replacing sliding glass doors with French doors?

I'm not sure exactly what you should look for, but I do have a sense that exterior French doors have a higher rate of problems generally than other sorts of doors and windows - especially with regard to weather resistance (e.g., keeping the weather out of the house).  This is a big issue in parts of the country where it rains and snows a lot or where there is a lot of wind-driven precipitation, but I should think it could be a problem here, too.

So, you want doors that have solid construction not prone to warping, good flashing (which is really an installation technique, but the design of the doors affects how the flashing is done), and good, solid hardware that will keep the door fully closed and seated against the jamb on all sides when it is closed.

Rebeccah

Silver Super Contributor
El_Katz

Just like any other product, windows and doors have efficiency ratings.  You can learn more about those here:

http://www.nfrc.org/

The information there will help you decipher the labels on the doors and what it means to you. 

French doors:  By french doors, I assume you mean one fixed panel and one swinging panel, or are you referring to two swinging panels?   Two swinging panels are less efficient - and more prone to installation and sealing problems - than the singles.  That's due to more propensity for sagging hinges, wear on the weatherstripping, and other general alignment problems not associated with a quality sliding door or single swing unit. 

One question:  Have you considered furniture placement for a swinging panel door?  That's the one thing that many people fail to consider and aren't aware of the amount of interior floor space required for the door swing and proper traffic circulation.  Wind is also a consideration because the doors can blow shut if you have a stiff cross breeze - and risk breaking the glass/damaging the door. 

Price:  It depends on the value of your house.  There are all levels of quality of doors.  It usually fairly easy to see the differences when they have display units available for you to evaluate.  Lowes and Home Depot are not always the best places to shop for large door units as they don't have them in displays where you can interact with them.  A large home center (one that caters to contractors and carries a variety of products) is the best way to start your search.  We have such a hardware/building supply store near me here in LA.  They have Pella, Andersen, Marvin, Milgard, and a few other brands installed in walls so you can see how they work.  That's where I'd start - if you have such a place near you. 

I've had a bunch of different doors.  Andersen has been the best in terms of hardware, construction and warranty.  My daughter's house had a failure in the vinyl cladding and Andersen covered it under warranty - even though she wasn't the original owner of the house and it was outside the coverage date by over a year.  That's a quality that few companys display in this day and age.

Visitor
jacksonlima

Sliding glass door vs French doors?

We are replacing one of our sliding glass doors and was wondering should I get another slider or french doors? I am assuming french is more efficient due to less glass right? Also What should I look for? I have seen doors for $400 $500 $600 and they all look EXACTLY the same so what gives?

Silver Contributor
Sammy555

" I have seen doors for $400 $500 $600 and they all look EXACTLY the same so what gives?"

Looks aren't everything, especially with exterior doors which will be exposed to the elements. All those French doors may look the same now, but you'll see the difference after 5 years. Higher prices tend to equate with better quality and more solid construction.
Visitor
william_taylor

sliding glass doors is not better because these are less effecient so in my opinion french doors are better with single doors. Expensive doors have better quality and if you use low price doors means low quality and less effecient.

Home sweet home
Regular Contributor
AlbertWilson

I guess the french doors are really good. They should be tempered glass and hurricane/ high wind tested and if it were me I'd get composite that wouldn't decay........I would think around the $1500 - $2000 mark for a decent one installed if there's not framing, drywall or exterior siding type work needed and that would depend on the existing size opening to matchup with your choice of the newly install unit.

Contributor
Joe_Romero12

sliding glass doors isn't higher as a result of these area unit less economical therefore in my opinion french doors area unit higher with single doors. High-ticket doors have higher quality and if you employ low worth doors suggests that caliber and fewer economical.