Contributor
koctail

I closed, but how do I check the property is really mine?

I closed two months ago. I was buying a REO and it was the usual closing with dozens of papers to sign. Now what can I do to verify all those papers were signed and processed correctly ? I searched the "Cook county recorder of deeds" and did see my name there. Also the property tax bills are now in my name. But what about everything else? Do I have to receive a hard copy of the deed? And do I receive something from the title insurance people?

Gold Regular Contributor
sheriff

Re: I closed, but how do I check the property is really mine?

I don't know how it works in cook county.  Where I live the recorder will sent you a copy of the deed about two months after closing.  If they do not do it, you can go to the recorder's office and ask for a copy. There is usually a nominal fee for this.  If you bought life insurance as part of the deal, call the insurer and ask for a copy of the policy.

Regular Contributor
Kimbear

Re: I closed, but how do I check the property is really mine?

We bought our house in dupage county, wayne township.  While it took a while for dupage to update the info we did get the original papers back about a month after we closed.  You have to wait since they need to scan it and upload it to the imaging system, them mail it back to you.  as for our township that does the assessment, they have updated finally after about 6 months our name on the property but have yet to list it as owner occupied rather than leased.

what you also want to see when you lookup the pin at the recorders site is the orignal lien holder / bank releasing the property.  those documents will also be imaged and available. However i'm not sure if you can access all this without paying a fee to cook.  I know in dupage you can view it as a pdf and print it without a charge.