Redfin Senior Agent
Greg-Whelan

How important is square footage to your home search?

The Chicago Tribune posted an interesting article today "Understanding the square footage of your new home". Unfortunately, in the Chicago market there is no uniform standard of measurement for square footage, so they outline some of the more interesting ways in which square footage can be measured.

But this got me thinking, how important is square footage to our potential buyers? Do you also consider "flow and livability"? How far would you go to find out the "Real" square footage of a home?

Greg Whelan | Redfin Chicago Team Lead
See all my deals and reviews
Contributor
Lisa24

Re: How important is square footage to your home search?

[ Edited ]

Greg,

It's very important to me. In fact that's how I customize my search is by room, bath, and sq Ft. . I take in consideration that my husband and I are in our late twenties and have two small children that need to grow and run so it's very important to me.

Visitor
DerekV

[ Edited ]

I do not consider it very important and I only use it as a general range when looking at places online.   I have found that since there is no uniform measure in Chicago the square footage posted is ofter wrong between 5-20%.  Also, especially when looking at units or townhouses with decks or lots of stairs it can be very misleading.  I gave up on customizing my search by square footage since I found out I was missing a lot of places because the square footage is so misleading or even worse there was no square footage on the MLS listing.   For the very last reason that some very nice places do not even post the square footage on the MLS listing, I would encourage buyers to disregard the square footage metric when looking for homes and just go by the # of bedrooms.  When you are at the location that is when I recommend you just go off the 'flow' of the 'feel' of the place. 

Let me know if you agree or disagree....

New Visitor
icarus5

Square footage is a good first and general gauge of the home's value and liveability. For example, I am living in a 900 sq. ft., 2bedroom/2bath condo right now, so when I'm looking at other potential places, I use that as broad gauge of whether myself and my things will fit. That said, I've toured places that are larger and horribly laid out so as to reduce liveable square footage, and I've also seen places that were smaller, and yet had a remarkably brilliant floorplan. It's too bad there isn't one, accepted standard of measuring square footage.

Contributor
thatgirl

Flow/how the space is used is just as important to me if not moreso.

For instance one of the first homes we looked at had a lot of sf but it was divided up into five small, awkwardly shaped bedrooms, a small front living room, big kitchen/dining area and small family room. It wasn't a good layout or use of the space.

The house we actually bought has a pretty good square footage for a starter/townhome (almost 1700 sf) but the biggest plus is that it all flows well. The bedrooms are a good size (esp master and second), the kitchen is laid out well, there are no weird angles or anything. It still feels roomy even with all our stuff in it :smileyhappy:

Super Contributor
LeonardVice

[ Edited ]

Very important as it helps you in maintaining or determining the price value of the land you are going to purchase.

Here's a good heads up about square footages in your home search: http://homebuying.about.com/od/marketfactstrends/f/062408_persqft.htm