- Redfin Real Estate Forums
- Buying A Home
- First-Time Home Buyer
- Home Repair & Remodelling
- Housing Market Trends
- Inspection, Title and Escrow
- Selling A Home
- Bay Area
- Dallas - Fort Worth
- Inland Empire
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- New York
- Orange County
- San Diego
- Washington DC/Baltimore
11-25-2012 06:38 AM
Any Chicagoan who knows what a gay is also knows there is a neighborhood called Boystown. But Redfin euphemizes the neighborhood as "North Halsted". Why? That's certainly a street and a business group's name, but no resident regularly refers to that neighborhood as "North Halsted".
Your map doesn't align with Google Maps' neighborhood boundaries, so you've done some labeling yourselves. Google's labels are pretty accurate, actually, including for Buena Park (omitted in your map).
So, why, may I ask, does Redfin so fear acknowledging what any buyer who walks past rainbow flags, uses Google Maps, or meets their to-be same sex couple neighbors will see anyway?
11-25-2012 01:57 PM - edited 11-25-2012 09:06 PM
Locked due to controversial discussion of sexuality, which is a violation of the forum guidelines.
5. Illegal or offensive posts: no posts that contain illegal, inflammatory, libelous, obscene or pornographic material.By law, we cannot tolerate any statements about the race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, or disability level of potential buyers, roommates or neighbors.
7. Controverisal discussion: Please attempt to avoid discussing controversial topics such as politics, race, religion, and sexuality whenever possible. Community members have strong opinions on these topics, and discussions will often devolve into flame wars. We reserve the right to edit or remove any excessive or unnecessary controversial discussion not directly related to real estate.
Please note that your feedback hasn't gone unheard and has been received by Redfin, as noted in Marks reply.
11-25-2012 04:07 PM - edited 11-25-2012 04:14 PM
I ran a 'Boystown' search on Redfin.com and it appears you are correct that the map is innaccurate. The result shows the neighborhood bordered by Irving Park, Clark, Barry and LSD and it should be, as you noted, shown similarly to Google's view. The request has been made to make that correction and also to eliminate "North Halsted" from the description.
Thanks for the heads-up about both Boystown and Buena Park. We appreciate everyone's feedback, as that's what helps to make our site more accurate.