Visitor
Csaint85

Home Tours with Redfin

Hi,

I just logged onto redfin for the first time a few weeks ago.  How exactly do home tours work?  If I am to have a redfin agent give me home tours does that by law make that person my realtor?  I am in the early stages of buying a home and would simply like to view some properties with no commitment to a realtor.  is that possible?  Sorry if this is a stupid question....I am new to this.

Thanks!

Redfin Market Manager
Alex

Re: Home Tours with Redfin

Hello,

This is a great question, so don't feel bad about asking and I wish more people would.  There is no commitment when touring with a Redfin agent and all that we ask that you sign is the MA mandatory agency disclosure.  We certainly understand just wanting to see some properties and not wanting to create a commitment.  We are not in the business of forcing people to work with us and we try and gain your confidence through our touring function and the model in general.  No commitment touring, agents paid on satisfaction and a portion of the buyer broker fee refunded to you are hallmarks of our brand.  So, go ahead and book a tour, meet with an Agent and see what you think.  We won’t pressure or bother you and though we will try and earn your business it won’t be through forcing you into an agency relationship.  If you have any other questions or want more information please don't hesitate to reach out to me directly.  

Thank you,

Alex Coon | Redfin Boston Market Manager
alex.coon@redfin.com
Visitor
Csaint85

Thank you very much for your help.  I will be looking to schedule some tours in the near future!

Corey

Regular Visitor
jnguyenk

[ Edited ]

Hello -

Similar question, but with a twist.  If we already have a realtor we've been working with can we still have a tour via Redfin with no commitment?  Basically our realtor is out of town for a month and his team is helping us see houses only locally in their area.  We saw some homes outside of their area and would like to tour them.  Can we do that with a Redfin agent?

Just found this in an older post (2007):

"If a client tours a home with a Redfin Agent and ultimately decides to purchase the home using a different agent, we will not stand in the client's way.  Of course, we want you use Redfin's Agents because they are skilled negotiators and provide the best value in the market, but we do not lock you into any relationship simply because you toured a home with us."

Scott Nagel | Redfin Vice President, Real Estate Operations

Is this the true stance of Redfin or has that changed in the last 5 years? 

Thanks.

**Editted to add the quote

Redfin Market Manager
Alex

Hello,

That is still true but we will not knowingly show you properties as a service to your current agent.  We believe in allowing people to try our service out in earnest but not use it as a resource for when your current, non Redfin agent is not available.  If you see a house with us and use somebody else we aren't going to chase you down but at the same time, we aren't a showing service for other agents.  If you are earnest in considering our services then please do go on tour with us but otherwise, wait for your agent to return or ask them for a reference.  

Feel free to reach out to me if you want to discuss further.  

Thank you, 

Alex Coon | Redfin Boston Market Manager
alex.coon@redfin.com
Regular Contributor
Doughnut

Most realtors I know work as part of a team.  If your realtor is out of town for a month (a MONTH????), then why isn't his/her team showing you ALL the places you want to see instead of limiting you to houses in a certain area?  When you say that the houses you want to tour are "outside the area" does that mean that you want to look at places an hour away? Why would you work with such an unhelpful company and end up paying them commissions for doing no work?  Is your realtor serious about being a realtor?  (I don't work for Redfin and don't like realtors in general, but yours seems to be a particuarly poor businessperson)

If I were you, the other option I'd try would be to call the broker that's listing the house(s), tell them that you have an agent who is out of town, and ask if the listing agent will show you the house.  Most agents want to make sales, so they should agree.  I know several people who have done this, under the same circumstances (realtor out of town - but not for as long as yours).