Redfin Associate Agent
davidpollack

Geothermal Systems

I've heard of the system before, but just recently one of my Team Lead's clients took on the project. Its a heat source that pumps heat from the Earth. This system is very expensive running between $40k -$80k. They say that the savings in the long run are well worth it and the system is super energy efficient. Geothermal systems can be connected to HVAC and radiant floor heating which I heard was the most comfortable form of heat in a house. The state will provide a 30% tax write off on the system and for anything involved to make the system work for your home.

I just wanted to get other people's opinion on this system or gain some more knowledge about it.

So what do you guys think?

David Pollack
Agent

Contributor
Steve_Sadler

Re: Geothermal Systems

Interesting topic David.

Based on my limited understanding, these systems provide both heating and cooling to a home.  

There are two types of systems:

1Open looped - The water running to the system is derived from ground watera pondor other water source

The water is discarded after passing through the system.   

2. Closed looped -  A water and antifreeze type solution is filled into the system. The solution recirculates.

I would be curious to know if these systems (especially open looped)  increase the risk of radon exposure in the home due to radon gas entering the system? 

-Steve 

Regular Contributor
JimR

There is a ton of info out there on these systems buit people need to pay attention to the specifics of which system they are talking about.  There are "Air Source" and "Ground Source" geothermal heat pumps. Both function in a similar way but each has a different source for where they extract the heat from. 

Because air source heat pumps rely on the ambient outdoor air, they don't work very well once temps drop below freezing. They'r eused widely down south but don't work very well up here.

Ground source heat pumps rely on sub-surface water for the heat exchange.  Because ground water maintains a fairly constant temp once you get down far enough, they are a lot more reliable source of heat.

They're expensive as sin to install but they are very efficent to operate.  The industry claims savings of 40-70% on heating costs and 20-30% savings on cooling and, of course, since you aren't buring fossil fuels, they're considered to be very "green".

Regular Contributor
JimR

"I would be curious to know if these systems (especially open looped)  increase the risk of radon exposure in the home due to radon gas entering the system?"

The open part of the loop is entirely outside the building structure so there isn't any risk of radon entering the building through the system.  Any radon that might be in the ground water would pass through the heat exchanger and be pumped right back into the ground, pond, etc...

Redfin Associate Agent
davidpollack

Awesome feedback guys! 

David Pollack
Agent

Regular Contributor
RK100

You get higher return on investment if you are stuck with an expensive heat source like oil.

Contributor

Redfin Associate Agent
davidpollack

Here is a list I found that will make your home super energy efficient::

• Geothermal Heat pump system w/ Desuperheater
  • Triple glazed low E Krypton gas windows ( pretty much all new windows that are available today)
  • HRV Heat Recovery Ventilator System

A Desuperheater gathers heat over many hours and then it stores it. So having a big water tank or two water tanks would make the desuperheater a more practical  purchase.

David Pollack
Agent