Regular Contributor
higantes

ok to give original Grant Deed to escrow officer to correct title company mistake???

My wife and I purchased our first house, and later found out that the title company made a mistake:

they charged seller too much transfer tax making the public sold price (price determined by transfer tax amount) higher than the MLS sold.  I'm concerned that we'll have to pay higher property taxes.

The escrow officer said that he needs the original Grant Deed so that he can correct the transfer tax with the seller's once he contacts them.  Is it risky to give him this original?? 

I gave him this original making sure to get signatures saying that they received the original, but now I can't get an update from him.  

Thank you. 

Silver Super Contributor
ptiemann

Re: ok to give original Grant Deed to escrow officer to correct title company mistake???

Once your "original grant deed" has been recorded, which happens within a few days or weeks after close of escrow, you will receive it in the mail.

You may think that you hold a very important piece of paper in your hands, and in some ways, yes, it is.

However, you can use it to light your fireplace. That's what I did yesterday night. Burnt a couple of grant deeds. The reason is:

- nobody will ever ask you to show it

- should you for some obscure reason want / need to show it to someone, you can go to the recorder's office, print out a copy and ask them to certify it for a few Dollars ($10-$20, depends on your county probably)

Seriously. Don't worry about it. Scan it and keep a copy on your computer, or better, a storage service like DropBox, and then dump the papyrus.