Regular Contributor
chepskate

Re: frameless glass wall/doors

Call a glass company who deals with frameless windows, and they'll give you good info. I have an eichler, and my windows are frameless. There is a glass company in bay area I am working with for replacements. The moderator would probably kill the post if I give a vendor name, but maybe I can code it: The name of the company is something something glass. That something something is the name of a city in bay area, and this city houses a very well known university generating lots of geeks. This city also has a pretty bad east side..

Call them, get their input on what it will take to convert.

Super Contributor
returningson

chepskate wrote:

Call a glass company who deals with frameless windows, and they'll give you good info. I have an eichler, and my windows are frameless. There is a glass company in bay area I am working with for replacements. The moderator would probably kill the post if I give a vendor name, but maybe I can code it: The name of the company is something something glass. That something something is the name of a city in bay area, and this city houses a very well known university generating lots of geeks. This city also has a pretty bad east side..

I think calling it a "city" is a stretch.  More like a hamlet.  

Platinum Regular Contributor
tjh

elt1

What the OP hasn't made clear is what is his/her idea of a windowwall. A true windowwall is glass the length of the building..no visible headers or shearwalls--like commercial construction.. A typical wood frame house can not be adapted without major structural alterations. Title 24 energy issues can also add a lot of cost. You need an Architect/Engineer to determine if the job is even feasible.

If you just want frameless doors put into the existing structure you need to talk to a commercial glass company.

tjh

Image Detail

elt1

The original Glass House by Philip Johnson  http://www.google.com/search?q=the+glass+house+philip+johnson&hl=en&prmd=imvnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&sourc...

Even this most famous glass house has an exposed steel frame...it is not trully frameless

Silver Contributor
bld999

"Not sure what kind of info can make my question more clear."  = priceless.

Super Contributor
SCGUY

chepskate wrote:

Or you could send the user a private message...just saying  :smileywink:

elt1

[ Edited ]

The Philip Johnson house is priceless.. You can get this wannabe knock-off for maybe $20m. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704868604575433410650321600.html

Wait another year maybe it will be $10m  http://www.zillow.com/blog/2011-10-12/house-of-the-week-montecitos-glass-pavilion/

Note that that the special glass cost $1m more than the std commercial grade.... I'm guessing the glass alone was several million dollars.

Silver Contributor
bld999

5 more years and Ikea will have a version of it. But that house will likely still be for sale.