Silver Contributor
Sammy555

Worst Home Inspections

Just came across this article in the San Francisco Chronicle on bad DIY projects and the dangers of waiving a home inspection. Lot of creative DIYers out there. I especially liked the one who "solved" the problem of the bathroom door hitting the toilet.

http://blog.sfgate.com/ontheblock/2013/02/06/worst-home-inspection-photos-2/

Contributor
lummy

Re: Worst Home Inspections

You have to love the carved out door to the bathroom. PRICELESS

Gold Super Contributor
TerriM

lummy wrote:

What would be even better is if the other piece had been attached to the door frame so that you get complete privacy. :smileyhappy:  

Platinum Regular Contributor
elt1

Funny, but I doubt if you need an inspector to see these obvious flaws. It is hard to find a good inspector. They should be Ashi or Crea(not sure on spelling)  approved. You should follow them around, listen, learn and ask questions. But also hire a contractor to give estimates and suggestions for repairs, if needed...that is not the inspector's job.

Silver Contributor
MyCousinVinny

TerriM wrote:

What would be even better is if the other piece had been attached to the door frame so that you get complete privacy. :smileyhappy:  

I can totally imagine somone tripping on that protruding part and ending up face first on the throne. :smileyvery-happy:

Silver Contributor
Sammy555

lummy wrote:

It seems that a relatively simple solution to that problem would have been to instead install a door with the hinge on the opposite side. Admittedly, not an ideal solution but I've got to believe that it's better than cutting a toilet-shaped notch in the door - probably not any more work, either.

Platinum Super Contributor
buyinghouse

Worst? I will tell you what's worst. Those ignorant, lazy and "I don't fit in there" inspectors. :smileyvery-happy: