Regular Contributor
bossanova

Whole house re-stucco estimate

Has anybody recently done or asked for an estimate for a whole house re-stucco? This is a 1-story rancher, about 1200SF with a 2-car attached garage. I'd strip the existing stucco. The windows need to be replaced and the existing stucco was painted over not long ago.  

I don't know if the stucco was done by licensed guys and there's no city permit. The seller is disclaiming any knowledge (surprise, surprise) of by who, what, and when it was done. I saw some patches (extending from eaves to grade) that was done poorly at a different time.  Anyway, termites are entering the walls from the gap at where stucco meets soil. Grading around the foundation needs to be improved for sure, but I want to know how much re-doing the stucco would add to my total cost. 

Platinum Trusted Contributor
elt1

Re: Whole house re-stucco estimate

Stucco is expensive. To do it right you'll have to put shear plywood on first(might as well do a whole seismic upgrade with HD's and anchor bolts.) A 3 coat job is preferred. A premium stucco job with a licensed contractor is probably $10/sf of wall plus all the prep work underneath. Hardi-Plank siding would be half that. Assuming your house is about 40' X 40' square and 10' high you'll have about 1600sf of wall---$16,000 plus the plywood, prep, misc, permits and contractor profit. Figure at least $30k($22k if you use Hardi-Plank). Plus windows($5k and up), demo(cut the stucco with a concrete saw and peal it off, don't beat on it with a sledge hammer or you will damage the interior finishes), paint, trim, electrical,new downspouts, re-landscaping, and engineering if required.

You can always find a cheaper stucco guy(maybe even $3/sf, using his boss's tools on the weekend). If you really want to save money don't use stucco. Even cedar shingles are cheaper and better that stucco in earthquake country--shingles don't crack!

Regular Contributor
aquaspearo

[ Edited ]

Why not just cover the all the stucco in stone veneer? If you consider the costs vs return on investment this is probably better upgrade althought slightly more expensive. You could actually do the stone veneer yourself.

Silver Regular Contributor
gm4

Stone "veneer" is ugly and looks cheap.  Anything "veneer" is ugly and looks cheap...my proof...veneer furniture.

To re-do stucco is expensive but I doubt $30K for a 1200 sq. ft. single story.  Absolutely get a bid...get 3 of them...bids are free from the contractors because that's how they get their jobs.  Jobs are hard to come by these days.  It's no different for contractors.  they want the job and they will be competitive.

Don't get a materials bid get T and M bids that are all inclusive...all prep work, all material and finished job.  Your windows are a different story.  Stucco guys are just that...stucco guys.  They won't do your windows but will know someone who will, have them bring that guy with them when they come out to bid the stucco...get a window bid at the same time.

My sons are contractors.  One only will do cement work, his brother loves the framing but will do a full build.  They travel together on bids and they bring their father who specializes in finish work.

Every level is an art...find your artist and get to work :smileywink:

BTW...someone mentioned bolting down the structure to the foundation...that should be your first step and isn't an option really in California.  Have you ever seen what a home looks like when it's sliding off it's foundation with an earthquake?

I have...I live in SC mountains and the home next door slid in 89'.  The insurance company refused to cover it and it became a 10 year battle...got completed (rebuilt from ground up) about 4 years ago but now because of the history of the property and disclosure requirements...not having luck selling...bummer.

Bolt your foundations people, it may save a life.  No one expected the Loma Prieta when it hit.  Just something to ponder.

Silver Contributor
Sammy555

Who would I call to bolt a foundation?
elt1

All houses built since 1940 have been required to have anchor bolts. Th new code requires a lot more bolts and larger than before.

For most major remodeling the cities require seismic upgrade to the latest code. This can be based on cost, sq footage or just the whim of the inspector. If you are a amateur don't even attempt putting new siding or stucco on an old house without consulting with an engineer.

Putting a stone veneer over a sketchy stucco job would a major mistake. Not only is it putting lipstick on a pig it is also a code violation. If you add more than 10% weight to any structural element without seismically upgrading you are in violation of the code.

Redfin Agent
KathiKB

Love this website for basic/ballpark estimates. I have found on the many contractor sit-ons I have done (and my own personal experience) that the prices they give are pretty close. I never have dealt with stucco but this may help...

http://www.costhelper.com/cost/home-garden/stucco.html

Kathi Kelly-Billings | Redfin Seattle Senior Agent

See all my deals and reviews
Regular Contributor
bossanova

KathiKB wrote:

Love this website for basic/ballpark estimates. I have found on the many contractor sit-ons I have done (and my own personal experience) that the prices they give are pretty close. I never have dealt with stucco but this may help...

http://www.costhelper.com/cost/home-garden/stucco.html

How accurate are these for the Bay Area? We have the most expensive real estate prices and the second highest electricity rates in the nation (second to Hawaii).  National averages cannot reflect the absurd cost of doing anything here.

Redfin Agent
KathiKB

Bossanova,

It would be interesting to find out if plumbers, roofers, carpenters, painters or electricians generally charge more for their work in different areas. I am sure there will be some difference as overhead is so much higher in some places like the Bay Area. I would think that material costs would be pretty consistant nationwide (unless, of course, you are in AK or Hawaii!).

So many of our clients are first-time home buyers and have never used a contractor before. I think this website is a good tool when looking at a home that may need some repairs/updates OR to determine value---before preparing your offer AND if you don't have a general contractor friend in your pocket! I would always round up at least 25%. I also would never use this as a replacement for a true professional's opinion! :smileyvery-happy:

Kathi Kelly-Billings | Redfin Seattle Senior Agent

See all my deals and reviews
elt1

KathiKb,

I'm a professional engineer and my rough guestimate for stucco of $10/sf is spot on--slightly higher than your national website numbers.

As a professional engineer I do not encourage first time buyers to buy fixer's. There are too many variables and too many sources of misinformation(the internet is the worst source for informed info). A first timer should buy something fixed up, new or a condo, unless they have a trusted friend or family member in the construction business.

From what I've seen of Bossnova's threads he is thinking about buying a house that needs major repairs and then basing his decision on Redfin blogs and internet knowledge. As a Realtor you should steer him in another direction