Regular Visitor
cafeblue

What's the next step after COE in South SF

Hi, I would like to know what will happen after COE (after I transfer money to the title company) in South SF?

I heard that fire inspector will come in to check the house? If they find violation, they will not allow the transfer of tlte? Is it true?

Silver Super Contributor
ptiemann

Re: What's the next step after COE in South SF

transfer of title happens before COE

Super Contributor
Metalhead

The fire inspection is to occur beflore COE:

http://www.ssf.net/DocumentCenter/Home/View/1987

Close of escrow is the actual close - nothing else happens after exchange of funds, transfer of title, and payout to all on the ledger sheet (i.e., inspections, title insurance, etc..._).  You should get keys but that is the last of it.  All other conditions of sale need to be completed beforehand.

Regular Visitor
cafeblue

the problem is the house that I am in process of buying now has an additional glassroom done with permit, but previous owner changed the glasses to stucco wall. Also, the additional room extends from the house all the way to its property line (approved and inspected by the city many years ago, but obviously it won't get a ok now if it is built now) I am not sure what would the fire inspector say regarding this room. If they find problem, they might just put a stop on everything until it is being fixed? Either demolish the room or change it back to glasses, I assume.

Super Contributor
Metalhead

Fire inspection is primarly about water heaters, furnace, debris and such and is not a building code inspection.  You'll only have a problem if the walled in room has some faulty heater vents installed.  Still, you need to figure out how you'll disclose this when you sell in the future.  Depending upon jurisdiction, completed rooms will not have to be fixed.  If you plan on improvements, be ready for a more compreshensive inspection that may require retrofitting the room.